This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NP 246 transfer case on GMC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NP 246 transfer case on GMC
    Posted: 18 Dec 2019 at 3:01pm
Picked up another NP246 unit last night from guy a couple miles from here - he had a 4L80e transmission and t case he wanted to sell as a unit, said he would not split it - someone offered him a good price for trany so he split it and called me if i wanted the case - so now to put it in and hope it works - 
 Seems used units from junk yard are around $600 and rebuilt units around $1400 - called one place said he had rebuilt for $650 - plus core .
  So now figure out if the unit is good as he said he got it from friend and it all worked good when he bought it . 
 I replaced the buttons a few years back on the truck - just hope when i get done they were not the problem as no one seems to be able to diagnose why a unit isnt working 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 12:06am
actuator is what I was trying to think of! to late now tho...actuator=thingy! lol I hear a lot of folks say they had to replace the push buttons switch on the dash, I've never had to yet, so I don't know how it would act.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 9:25am
actuator motor on front axle is working as when 4 wheel is pushed on switch motor advances axle lock ring and then when you turn one wheel by hand the opposite side turns other direaction - so spider gears are engaged as is axle . 
  Can feel the motor on the transfer case run - but to which position it engages the shift forks or applies pressure to the clutch pack - unsure . 
 Replaced the switch group a few years back - 
Is there a way to reflash the module that controls the 4 wheel - or find any codes 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 3:04am
check the thingy up under the front of the bumper, it's the thing that slams a shaft back and forth to put it in and out of 4x4, don't put your fingers up in there cuz if it happens to engage you won't have them any more. dang...I wish I could remember what it's called! simple to replace, also check your push button switch.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 11:36pm
I am not personally familular with them. I do know the guys in the shop at the car dealership replaced a lot of the push button units. Good luck with yours.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 9:06pm
Had the input bearing on front differential go bad and just rebuilt that but after installing it - 4 WD transfer case will not go into 4 wheel mode 
 The unit is the NP 246 unit with 4 button electric dash switches - 
It's not showing any service 4 Wheel unit light and the lights on dash buttons do flash when shifting - indexing motor seems to run on the transfer case but no 4 wheel high or low - in auto mode still now 4 wheel - just 2 wheel drive 
 Odd thing is when that front bearing went bad it locked up truck so it would not move in 4 wheel but shifting out to 2 wheel and truck moved fine - now in any mode the buttons are set to it only has 2 wheel drive - no low range or anything putting power to front differential 
 Unit is on my 2000 GMC 2500 HD with the 6.0 engine and HD transmission -
When I first got the truck new the transfer case did this under warranty and the unit was replaced as they said clutch pack was set up wrong from factory - 
  This time it makes me wonder if clutch pack went bad again but somehow changing front differential bearings should not affect transfer case -  yes the front motor on transfer case is engaging front axle - 
  Is there a way to test or reset the logic program in the controller or a code that shows what is wrong .

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 15 Dec 2019 at 9:09pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic