This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rebuilding WD shift tower

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DonnaS View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rebuilding WD shift tower
    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 1:48pm
Hi All, after lurking for a while i finally joined the group..mainly because I have a problem, snow plowing with my WD, she got stuck in reverse, tried all the tricks to line up everything after taking shift lever out,no go. I removed the tower and it seems like the reverse lever & fork move way too loose, no tension at all like the other two. I'm thinking theres a spring missing ?. I have several diagrams that show a spring I've searched websites for hours and  cannot find any place to buy these , Even tried E bay for a whole tower. Any ideas folks ?
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 4:58pm
DonnaS,
Welcome to the forum! These can get worn in various areas. You might call one of the suppliers on this site. Maybe try Brenda at Sandy Lake. They are pretty good at helping over the phone too! I think reverse usually has spring pressure to make you force the shifter over into that position. I have never rebuilt one of these yet. but have had the towers off several.
Regards,
Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 8:47pm
No spring resistance on my original WD for R......been like that far back as can remember.Dont know if R has a detent spring but would think so? Too lazy to look in parts books.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 8:58pm
All three shift shafts use ball and detent  . Page 230 agcopartsbooks.com WD/WD45/Power unit...sounds like you're missing something.
#70224925 spring
#70915905 ball
Uses 3 of each but doubt you need all of them new. Might be best to call Sandy Lake Imp like Chris says. Discuss situation with them and they can help you know what's what.
 You say something seems too loose. Those fork rails can swing side to side easily You should be able to slide them back and forth and feel the detents if they are ok. They need to be positioned close to what they would be like in tractor....not swung to one side.
On a WD45 you need trans and shift tower in 2nd gear position to get it back together. WD might be same...not sure. This is assuming  you have early WD with straight stick. Curved shifter WD is same as WD45.

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 03 Dec 2019 at 10:18pm
DonnaS View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 7:10am
Thanks for the replies!, I took another look at it, (you know how it's better to walk away for a while sometimes Smile) and I can defineatly see that a spring and ball are missing from reverse ,the lever/fork really flop around. I will give Sandy Lake a call with the part numbers suggested (Super help there !) And yes she's a 1950 regular WD with a straight shifter. BTW said shifter shows some wear at the base so will weld it build it back up to specs while it's apart..
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 9:15am
DonnaS,
Yes you have a worn shifter system! But you knew that! Most of them are just different degrees of worn. ( I am still having minor issues with my 45 but it was not rebuilt)
I was looking through the wonderful documentation that Tom made on the restorations of his WC and WD45 diesel. Not sure who posted the link to his info but it sure has good pictures of many Allis parts including this shift tower refurb/clean.
If someone can re-post Tom's links that would be great. 

Regards,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 11 Dec 2019 at 10:47am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
DonnaS View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 9:31am
Boy am I happy I took the suggestion to call Sandy Lake in Pa. Sarah in parts had what I needed in stock. Bill the service manager took the time to help me with repair tips and directed me to a link on there webpage to print out directions to put it all back together
Thanks to all !.. I really like this forum already Smile  
I'll post back when parts arrive and let you know how it goes
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 9:58am
DonnaS,
 I am about 40 minutes from Sandy Lake and I go to them alot to learn about these old Orange tractors! Glad you had some positive feed back and found parts too!
Take some pictures for us too. Not to many threads on this problem specific.
Regards,
 Chris
DonnaS View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 7:15am
Good morning all,
 I was able to get my WD up and running, was indeed the detent ball and spring that popped out, I don't know why reverse shaft over traveled , causing that to happen, but I put a sleeve on the reverse shaft so as not to happen again. Bill at Sandy lake suggested 1/2" EMT conduit which in my case was too small. I used a piece of brass pipe roughly 5/8 ID cut 2 1/4" long, slid over nicely.I had to loosen the set screws for the fork and collar and use a punch to get both end caps off so shaft would move far enough over to slide it on . 18g wire was perfect for rewiring through set screws.I can say  it went together pretty well, I had to move around the gears in the case a bit to have them line up with the forks,which I had set in 2nd gear. Biggest problem was getting the spring and ball set ,and after about and hour and a half of that nonsense, I took it to my local tranny shop ,5 minutes and no charge !,( so I'll send him some cookies) Building up the end of the shifter with weld helped a lot, shifts nice and tight now.1st pic is brass sleeve 2nd shaft over travel ,if you look at the upper right you'll see hole where sping& ball popped out)uploads/20472/leverovertravel.jpg
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 10:59am
DonnaS,
 Awesome! It will probably work well for another 60 years! I did not know about the tubular spacer.
Regards,
 Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic