This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

H3 Steering Clutch Removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmd42024 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H3 Steering Clutch Removal
    Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 9:30pm
I have an Allis Chalmers H3 (1961) that has a weak steering clutch on the right hand side.  I do have the H3 manual for disassembly of the steering clutch; but, it seems to be lacking a good description - regarding the step by step disassembly process.  I did search on the forum here (and google) to see if I could find any info on the disassembly process; but, I didn't have any luck. Does anyone have some insight on the disassembly or have some photos of the process?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sponsored Links

NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 10:18pm
weak driving as in slipping or weak as in won't release?

I don't have a service manual and have not seen one done

have you adjusted it? the clutch
HD3
pinball View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 7:41am
what is is that you don't understand. the manual should be pretty well straight forward.
tmd42024 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmd42024 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 6:02pm
Yes, I have adjusted the clutch.  Unlike the left track, the right track slips when trying to turn or when pushing something with the blade. 
tmd42024 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmd42024 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 6:11pm
Pinball - my manual doesn't have crystal clear images (mostly very dark black and white images) - even though it is an "official" manual.  I'll have to spend some time studying the manual to try and figure out the disassembly.

It is interesting that I found a 653 that looks remarkably like the H3 steering clutch assembly with disassembly instructions.  (Please see below link)

Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 7:46pm
Does the right side looked oil soaked? Does it looked rusty? Are you sure the pressure plate fingers are releasing and no contact? Not a fun job to do. Sounds like you might be out of wear surface on friction plates.
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
pinball View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 9:49pm
if its on the right side its probably under your hydraulic tank. it will have to be drained and removed. take the plate off of the rear housing. that will expose the clutch and brake assembly. the clutch/brake will come up and out that hole. not much clearance but it will come out. the drive shaft will have to be moved towards the tranny. there is a snap pin that you will have to release to push the shaft back. the pin is like a snap ring except it has a pin that needs to be pulled up. I took a screw driver and bent it to a 45 so I could get it under the pin. took several tries before I got it then I took a bar and pushed the drive shaft out of the way. there I think is 3 indentions on the shaft for the pin. needs to be put in the second hole when you put it back. I think there's is about 8 screws that will have to be taken out once the shaft is back. if you take the barrel rung out you can get to them. 9/16 if I remember correctly. I lifted my clutch /brake assembly out with a portable lift. once you get it out you can take it apart and put new clutch plates in it and inspect everything else. you also need to replace the throw bearing while you have it out. clean out the casing and make sure if the barrel rung is still in the bottom is open. I just removed mine. if there's any oil that looks as though its coming from the left side then you probably need to replace the input shaft seal. its not an easy job so if your not sure about something then replace it. parts aren't that expensive brake band is the most expensive. I got my parts I think from Idaho gear . you can go on the net and do search for the clutch disks and brake band. anyway good luck and if you run across any problems just ask on here. there's fellows on here with more knowledge than I have,
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 1:21pm
Should be same procedure as the HD4 and 653 - 655 . 
So follow that manual - hardest part is getting that clip to release and then sliding the stub axle back into the drive gear housing 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic