This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

All-Crop and Hulless Oats

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All-Crop and Hulless Oats
    Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 2:47pm
Hi guys. First off, respectfully, I really don't want this turning into a debate about them.
Anyways, I'm still looking for an All-Crop 66. I figure I'd better get as much of the little stuff done that you wish you had done in the meanwhile. I'm wondering if any of you grow hulless or "naked" oats? I wish I could procure some of the AC-Gehl out of Canada but that's a story in itself; maybe someone has a source I could use. Right now I grow "Streaker" oats, but the trichomes make me wanna tear my skin off after awhile! AC-Gehl is supposedly the only "bald" oat, no hull or trichomes to deal with.
My question is, what screen is appropriate? They're slightly smaller than regular oats and thresh out like wheat. I don't even know if it'd make a difference, so fire away and thanks!

Edited by TimCNY - 21 Aug 2019 at 2:47pm
Sponsored Links

JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 12:07pm
I would use the standard wheat screen.

An open eye is much more observant than an open mouth
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 2:48pm
Thanks, Jim. The kernels do look much the same size. Makes THAT a lot easier lol! Now to find a combine in good shape...
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 5:14pm
I actually have used the wheat screen in oats as well and it does help in a weedy crop.  Unless you want the canvas header I would look out for a 72.  Much nicer setup.

Jim
An open eye is much more observant than an open mouth
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 6:50pm
I'll rethink my decision, Jim - my reason for looking at narrower configurations (yes, it's only half a foot at the cutter bar but I'm wondering about overall widths) is that the fields are widely separated by one major hill, and the switchback tractor path leading up the hill (more than 600' elevation difference in a little less than 1,600' horizontal) was carved out right around 1793, and widened slightly in the 50's for more "modern" equipment. Just getting a 13-7 grain drill up there through the deep cuts the road makes through the hill this past spring made me realize "narrower is better" by far, but I haven't looked into how much difference there is in width between the 66 and 72 overall.
This one farm means more to me than pretty much anything else except God, country and family, and will be with me until my last breath, and by then I hope my grandsons (I have a daughter, only child, twin 5-year-old grandsons) will have developed the same love for it as I have and it will remain in the family for at least another generation. I fought and strived most of my life to be able to finally buy it in 2011. The history is unbelievable, the views incredible, and the soils are unparalleled for this part of the world. I grew up working for the farmer whose family came here in the 1750's and made a farm out of a forest. He was the last of his line but always treated me like a son; he really was like a second father to me. He died just a week before my high school graduation in 1976. Yeah, I'm a 61-year-young kid at heart lol! And a year older than he was when he died... He was always partial to the Massey Harris line of products, and had a Massey Harris Model 50 Clipper combine. I don't have anything to compare widths between any All-Crop harvesters and the Clipper, I figure that task of finding out should be moved up to next on my list. But I pretty much have my heart set on an All-Crop, thanks in large part to this community.
Thanks again, Joe!
- Tim

Edited by TimCNY - 22 Aug 2019 at 6:51pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic