This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stories from Fathers Day

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stories from Fathers Day
    Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 8:42pm
Got to hang out with Grandpa and dad this evening. Grandpa was telling stories of farming as a young man (he is 85 now).

Talked about farming under the moonlight. Lights from the tractor, and farming until Midnight if he had to. On the tractor, wd and D-17, I am sure probably others too. Getting the field worked or just planting corn to beat the rain coming in the morning.

His dad would drive the pickup truck to the field to check on him. And grandpa would say "another 1/2 hour and I will be done". Supper waiting on the table at home or in the fridge, at 11 PM.

I could just picture a Full Moon, An Allis Tractor, headlights and dark silhouettes across a farm field with a Star filled sky. Wish I could paint a picture!
Galatians 5:22-24

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
Sponsored Links

JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 6:01pm
My Dad always said that the worst thing that ever happened to farming was putting headlights on trActors.
Then you could hire the town drunk to plow all night and you could rent all the neighbors farms.
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 9:41pm
lots of times I could disk at night by moonlight, could see better and farther than having the headlights on.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 10:00pm
Spent many nights doing spring plowing. The day our youngest daughter was born I plowed till 2:00 in the morning. Just got in bed and Cheryl said lets go. With the kids to drop off and the hospital a hour from the farm. Kelly was born two hours later. 
I remember one night on the 45 in the back 40. The stack was red and the front wheels were off the ground most of the time! Just kept it wide open with the 3 bottom 14's!
We disc at night too. But we didn't plant anything at night.  Good memories! Cool evenings!
Dad didnt take the heat housers or chains off until we were actually planting. That heat felt pretty good when the temps were in the low 50's! He never had good lights on the WD 45s.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
LionelinKY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LionelinKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 11:41pm
I miss doing tillage work at night. Dad and I would plow during the day running 9 bottoms total between the 2 of us. In for dinner and then night milking. After milking, plows unhitched and disk behind 1 tractor with cultipacker behind the other worked down the field so that hired man could plant the next day while we plowed the next field or 2. Repeat until planting was done. Just something about working ground at night.
"My name is Lionel and I'm an Allisoholic"
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 3:39pm
Awesome stories keep them coming!!!

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 5:40pm
Check this picture out!!

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/Fuldraw/tractors/20121108_173756.jpg

Any of you guys pick corn into the dark?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic