This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

onyx

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
HaroldOmaha View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaroldOmaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: onyx
    Posted: 31 May 2019 at 10:34pm
As far as walls out of square, we always gutted a bathroom and made sure the walls and tubs were level and square. Then we drywalled the shower area with waterproof Densesheild. Easier to work with than cement board. We bought the back wall panel with a built in soap dish and after the panels were in put a matching shampoo holder for those that showered standing up. I had a hired man but sometimes he couldn't be there, and I installed the 5'X 6' panels buy myself. Made sure each joint was caulked before and after installation. As far as price it is hard to say, I gave the customer a choice and almost all of them chose Corian. And on kitchen counter tops one day after installing Formica for years, I gave a lady a choice of Corian and Formica. to my surprise she chose Corian and after that all my kitchens were Corian.
Sponsored Links

Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 6:59am
Have installed a few Onyx shower walls .Better have someone like Greg who knows what they are doing . Matching silicone makes the seal so it is important that the panels fit tight . If every house was perfectly level and and walls perfectly plumb it doesn't take much , but no house is level or plumb. Shower walls can be 7 foot high . Easy for walls to be out 1/2 inch in 7 foot. If panels need cut you better know what you are doing . Seen plenty of people mess stuff up. Also helps to have some extra pieces in case of a mistake .
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 8:15pm
Not Harold, but I have a response to the price question.
I am not involved in the pricing, just get told where to prep for and install them.
Most of ours are paid for by a Nebraska program (Assistive Technology Partnership) which pays for improvements to handicapped individuals homes so they can remain in them longer.  They used to think that it was more expensive than tile, but I can usually turn a tub area into a shower within 3 days.  They are seeing that onyx (materials more, labor less) is not spendy when you compare the total cost verses tile (material less, labor more).  
I have no experience with corian as that would be too much for our clientele!
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
trace View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 7:47pm
hey harold, how does corian compare price wise? always thought corian was spendy.
1955 WD-45 WIDE FRONT W/ TRIP
LOADER
omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 5:36pm
Yes, color matching silicone is the seal
Greg Kroeker
trace View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 9:22am
so silicone forms the water seal? thought they had step joints or something to seal. like a hot shower, our water heater set at 125.
LOADER
HaroldOmaha View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaroldOmaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 10:51pm
Was a remodeler for 30 years, used Onyx a lot, shower walls, tubs, vanity tops. Had good results. Only had one failure when a kid turned on the hot water and forgot. the panel warped I had to replace it. Last 12 years started using Corian liked that a lot better, easier to maintain and repair if you had to. I have both in my home now, but the Corian has a better variety of colors. I think it has better resale value. Could talk all night about the pluses and neg of stone.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 6:03pm
[TUBE]G_CkoaWwoWg[/TUBE]
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 5:14pm
One caution on Onyx fixtures, we have them in two baths, is the Plumbing supply that furnished them explained to dial the Hot Water temperature BACK to less than 150 otherwise color loss will most likely occur.

Edited by DMiller - 29 May 2019 at 5:17pm
omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 4:20pm
I am a trim carpenter at a pharmacy in Omaha! We call ourselves the ‘mod squad’ because we modify homes so people can live in them better/longer! We install onyx a lot! Only get it from Kansas! Here is one I finished last week!

Greg Kroeker
Dennis J OPKs View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 2:04pm
They did a custom order vanity top/sink for me through Lowes.  Was available in the time frame promised.  Seems like a good product (mfg. in Ks.) -- we had no problems.  Had to pay up front which I understand.
trace View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 1:38pm
thinkin about doing onyx shower walls and sink in bath remodel. anyone have any experience with them?
LOADER
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic