This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"BUSH HOG" info needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "BUSH HOG" info needed
    Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 8:02pm
My old "bush hog" ( unknown brand) (3 point hookup) is on its very last legs and am in the process of looking for a new one.. Another 3 point ?,  tow behind ?  The main use will be to whack at the red and willow brush that keeps popping up in the pasture area and along side my one field.. Another use will be to chop up that 6' canary grass.

Had to use my sickle mower (7') to cut back on the younger stuff. Old hog is a 5' and hanging on the back of my D-17 IV.. Any info as to brand, size, hookup is appreciated.
Sponsored Links

Frank View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 8:16pm
Rich,
I like the the Bush Hog brand, have a 406 and a 3210 Your D 17 should handle the 6 footer just fine.
Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 8:16pm
My friend has a 3pt. 7' Woods BrushBull, He says it does such a nice job you could cut a lawn with it.  I have a very heavy duty 6' no-name 3pt mower that does a very crappy job on grass/brush, I would spend the extra money for a nice one next time.
Dave A View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 8:20pm
I had a woods D80 and loved it. It cut fast and did a nice job. At work we just replaced our Ford with a Lands Pride. Works ok but you get what you pay for.
Play the game for more than you can afford to lose... only then will you learn the game.
Winston Churchill
Rich-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 8:58pm
Thanks  for the prelim info...especially the 6' idea..Bush Hog has been around a while and is on the top of the list to consider.. The last one lasted around 15 years ( sometimes abused !!)  and the repairs are getting to be a pain in the ass.. Been thinking that the 3 pt. would be better to manuever ( backwards sometimes) than a tow behind type.
Rich-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 9:00pm
Forgot to mention the Woods brand in the previous post
Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 9:02pm
I would consider a 7' with a D17 , in the tuff stuff you can always use the hand clutch to creep through and you will be as wide or close as wide as your tractor.  I use my 6' on my 32 HP john Deere compact, but it is a hydro and I go as slow as I need to the the tuff stuff.
Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 9:04pm

Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 10:35pm
I have had good luck with the light duty LandPride 6'. I used to run them around 400 hours doing custom work and then resell them for a couple hundred less than I paid for them. I now run a medium duty JD 8 footer twin rotor....cover a lot of ground but doesn't cut as clean as the LandPride. A 7' would be a good choice, but the price almost doubles for a 7 because not as many are sold...a 6 foot is probably the best value out there because they make (and sell) a ton of them. I was able to get my LP in Kabota orange....close to persian.

ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 10:40pm
Eldon, doesn't the 8' leave a strip of grass down the middle?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 10:56pm
The problem with the two spindle is that they rotate in the direction to pick up the grass laid down by the tractor tires, which is great.  The blades are timed 90 degrees apart so there is some overlap and no strip that way. The problem is both blades moving forward in the middle of the deck (and in tall grass  the front of the mower bends it forward) so the blades tend to just strip the grass in the center unless you are cutting real short or going real slow. On a single spindle the blades are cutting sideways at the front, and strip the grass only on the rh side...which can be recut by overlapping the next pass if you cut in circles. You only get about a 4 1/2 foot cut out of a 6 foot mower, but it is a nice even field. I can get a full 8' cut in short grass with the JD, but if it is tall the front tires splay it out sometimes and the mower misses it...I just run the front tire half on the uncut grass and it seems to work well.
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 10:58pm
That 7 foot Woods is a nice looking unit.A 6'or 7' wood be fine.Get a 3pt mounted.Alot less stress on U joints and turning under power the U joint does'nt get in a bind.Can backup under power.Much more manuvereable.
Woods makes a good unit and price reflects that.Just bought a new Woods 6' finish mower.Paid 500 more for Woods but metal is thicker,waurentee on gearbox is longer.And dealer keeps full stock of parts on hand.I will pay more for a better product.Priced 7' finish mower and could not believe price increase for 1' bigger.Almost 1,000$ WOW
Oh yeah Woods orange looks great on A/C orange
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
David KY View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David KY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 7:03am
I bought a Woods BB84 for my 170. It does avery good job.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 8:08am
I put a 8' Bush Hog 3008 on my 180, a little heavy and had to add a loader for ballast(for the wife's consideration) but it does well.  Essentially two 5' mowers timed together and cross over the center to minimize Mohawking.  I have the mulching covers on it so it does better, on the D-17 I don't know if it can handle the 3 point weight.
Larry(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 9:27am
Dad has an old Woods BO-80.  It is an offset mower that my gradndad pulled behind his WC which is now my pulling tractor.  Dad uses it behind the WD now and it still does good after ???years.  It will leave a small trail as Eldon says about JD, but it is not a timed unit.  It has 6 V belts running everything  the offset is nice for mowing along fence/creeks
'40 WC puller,'50 WD puller,'50 M puller '65 770 Ollie

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

I can explain it to you, BUT I cannot understand it for you!!
rrhead(SD) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrhead(SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 9:37am
What do you guys think of this Allis mower? Did they work well or did they have problems? What would be a price range? Thanks, rrhead(SD)

Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by David KY David KY wrote:

I bought a Woods BB84 for my 170. It does avery good job.

I love that setup!!!
TexasAllis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 7:42am
I bought an Ag-meir from my local JD dealer.  7' twin blade I run on my d17.  Very heavy and cuts like dream.  I can drop it down go slow and it looks like I used a finish mower when I am done.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 8:23am
I bought a used 7' Bushhog last year and used it a little, but it scalped a lot more than the 6' due to the increased length....it is amazing how little the twin rotor JD scalps with the two rear wheels and short deck. I would only get a 7' if you have fairly even terrain.
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic