This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alice wont start!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alice wont start!
    Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 7:38am
WD, not used very often, her primary responsibility is snow plowing. Last run Aug or Sept, and was running fine at that time. Tried to start her yesterday and not even one pop. checked spark couple times, good spark on all four plugs. drained carb and refilled, checked that float was not sticking, finally replaced carb....not even one pop when rolling it over. I noticed that the plugs are dry, not even a hint of fuel or ether on them after extended attempts to start. I didn't check the compression, I guess I should, but I noted healthy puffing when checking for spark. OK, I finally hit it with starting fluid....it wouldn't even fire on ether!!!!! I guess I take the manifold off and investigate.....either a major air leak, or it's blocked? Am I missing something?
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Sponsored Links

klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 8:06am
Well Lou that sucks. How old is your fuel and your starting fluid? I have had problems in the past with both. Also check your coil sometimes they have low spark in cold weather. Could be some critters made or are obstructing something.My Grandfather would say set in on fire and go find a better one! We didn't always follow Gramps advice!

Edited by klinemar - 03 Feb 2019 at 8:07am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 8:17am
Intake valve stuck open on a hole, allowing intake to pressurize the wrong way? or Not develop enough vacuum?
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 8:18am
Originally posted by klinemar klinemar wrote:

Well Lou that sucks. How old is your fuel and your starting fluid? I have had problems in the past with both. Also check your coil sometimes they have low spark in cold weather. Could be some critters made or are obstructing something.My Grandfather would say set in on fire and go find a better one! We didn't always follow Gramps advice!

The fuel is fresh, ether? I have a brand new coil laying around here somewhere I will try, I was kinda thinking in that direction myself. I have read that it is possible to have a spark, but so weak that it will not spark under compression.
But, it bothers me that the plugs are dry. One would think that after all the attempts to start it that by now there would be some evidence of fuel or ether on them, but I don't see or smell anything on them
Wait for the Lord;
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 8:20am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Intake valve stuck open on a hole, allowing intake to pressurize the wrong way? or Not develop enough vacuum?
Ya know Dave, I was laying in bed last night and that thought came to me. Like I said, I didnt check compression with a gage, I think I had better.
Wait for the Lord;
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 10:07am

Hey Lou,,I'm kinda like ole Dave in that the tractor may have a compression issue due to some valves ...prolly worth to run a quick compression test as that is the only'ist thing left that will keep it from starting,,,Good Luck,!!Clap
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:53am
Take the plugs out and squirt a bit of gas in each cylinder, quickly put plugs back in and it will start. Got one here does same thing! Also have a red one that does that. It's the only way to get them primed again. Don't know if pull start would work or not. Never had a way to do that by myself. thanks; ac fleet
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 12:28pm
You can add a little 2 stroke oil to that gas you squirt in there and it might help things also.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 1:17pm
ac is right.... I have a B that if it sets for over a year it will not start.. I pull all 4 plugs, squirt a spoonful into each hole, reinstall plugs and your ready to go !!

assuming the point is CLEAN inside the distributor.

Edited by steve(ill) - 03 Feb 2019 at 1:18pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 8:42pm
Lou- it is VERY possible to have spark, but not get ignition...  it's also possible that the fuel is enough water, that it will not ignite, and solid enough water that it won't flow... or worse yet, solid enough to have jammed up the float, or the filter screen, or the fuel line, or...

but yeah, a nasty, loud, hot white inch-long snappy-crack flash 'tween the coil wire and block is what the doctor ordered.  Basically, the theory is, that if you have water, rather than gas in the carb, that spark will be 'nuff to flash that water to steam and chug'ya out of the barn!  LOL

I have a spray bottle of some petroleum-based penetrating stuff that I shoot in the venturi, and crank it... if it fires on that, I know it's just fuel supply...

but if it's been that long, you COULD have a mud-dauber nest in the up-draft... or a block of ice in the oil-bath...

Edited by DaveKamp - 04 Feb 2019 at 8:42pm
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
wide View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 10:38pm
On my old Rabbit diesels I can turn the crank by hand and see how the compression is.
  Done it enough times that it's more accurate than a compression tester.

Have you tried putting the hand crank to it to see how it turns?
With the ignition off, ha.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 9:10am
My Wd45 wouldn't start the last couple days I needed I had we've got 30 inches of snow a d ithas the blower on it. I got my wife to help me yesterday used the plow truck to drag it out of the shed and push it into the shop let it warm up a few hours and drained the sediment bowl it had water in it draind the carb till I got fresh fuel it also had water in it started on the first revolution stuttered for a few seconds runs great. I had pull plugs and checked the points out in the shed. It wasn't till I put it on a warm shop that the water showed up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic