This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VW Jetta?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VW Jetta?
    Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 10:00am
Looking for a gas squeezer to drive to town n back and found a 2001 Jetta, 2.0 manual trans. Looks nice and long list of recent work. Never heard people complain too much about a VW? Decent car or stay away? Only wants $900

Edited by Butch(OH) - 25 Jan 2019 at 10:00am
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 10:09am
well it's cheaper than a new riding mower !
use Google to see....
I wouldn't buy it though.... after what Merkel did.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 12:12pm
My first thought was NO, till i read the "manual trans" part. My good neighbor had a VW, not sure of the model, but it had an automatic tranny. It started slipping on them and they took it to a local tranny guy, he sent them to a VW dealer, and the price quoted to fix it was more than the Bluebook value of the  care in good working condition.
 They came home with a used Mercedes and shortly had a head light go out. I think it was quoted as a 3 our job to put a new lightbulb in. He did it himself in the shop after reading up on how to tear everything apart to get at it.
 I wish I had my Studebaker truck on the road. A 5 year old kid can work on it throw a few extra parts away and still get it to run LOL
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 12:21pm
I have a friends VW Tiguan sitting in my yard with a shot engine.  He bought it from a used car lot for around $9,000 drove it for a few months and then when starting it, heard a clunk.  Had it towed to a shop, "Engines shot, $6 to $8 thousand to fix.  I hauled it home and stuck my HF camera in the spark plug holes, no damage to the pistons that I could see.  Sat here all summer, he didn't have the money to fix it and after looking at what a major job it is to pull the head, I didn't want to mess with it either.  He heard there was a class action suit going on with VW over the timing chain tenshioner, which was settled last fall.  VW would pay up to $5,000 if it was repaired at one of their dealers, less if a indie shop did it.  Or they would just give him $2,500.  I hauled it to the dealer and they messed with it a bit, said it had metal in the oil pan (which I doubt) and bent valves, etc. etc., $6,000 NOT including the VW money!  It sits here in my yard again.  He can't sell or give it away until he pays the credit union loan back and can't afford to do that for another year or so, just makes the monthly payment.  If I get bored this spring, not likely, I might pull the head and see how bad it is.  Might only take a few hundred $ to fix it.
So, long story short, get a Honda or Toyota!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 2:09pm
Since the VW smog failure I think that is what I should have to tick the Fruits and Nuts off more.LOL
wide View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 9:41pm
Yeah, that's a good one.
 The 2.0 is a good tested engine.
 Good fuel mileage. Lots of room in the engine bay.
 Cheap parts.
 Pretty good wiring on the MK4s,
 I don't think they have the door alarm wiring problems the MK3 has.
 Usually pretty cheap too, because so many were sold.
 You didn't say how many miles.
 I suppose sometimes the rear disc brakes stick,.. mostly because the ebrake doesn't get used enough and it freezes up.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 10:05pm
A pal of mine buys a different VW every 2 years. I know this one isn't a diesel like he gets. His usually Run 40 + mpg with the stick shift. He is one of the big wigs in the capitol city water department and is on call 24-7. He really likes them. They start and run great for him.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 7:35am
Originally posted by wide wide wrote:

Yeah, that's a good one.
 The 2.0 is a good tested engine.
 Good fuel mileage. Lots of room in the engine bay.
 Cheap parts.
 Pretty good wiring on the MK4s,
 I don't think they have the door alarm wiring problems the MK3 has.
 Usually pretty cheap too, because so many were sold.
 You didn't say how many miles.
 I suppose sometimes the rear disc brakes stick,.. mostly because the ebrake doesn't get used enough and it freezes up.

It is high miles at 180K , the guy drove a 1 1/2 commute highway highway miles. In the last 6 months he had the timing belt and Water pump changed, new oil pan, new pads and rotors, new tires. Does have check engine light for O2 sensor . He says runs great with no issues. A mechanic friend said same as you, 2.0 and manual trans OK, otherwise stay away.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 7:38am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

well it's cheaper than a new riding mower

You got that right, son just priced out a small Kubota, 60" deck and loader. Over 15K with tax
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 2:26pm
Friend got a new V W . Later asked where it was .Said husband got tired  of coming and picking it up on side of the road.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 3:42pm
Sounds like a good buy, I go with Dodge Stratus with the 2.0 and 5 speed tranny the more miles they get on them the better the gas milage, got 426000 out of one !
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic