This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hughes net dish

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hughes net dish
    Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 12:02am
We've got another 4-6" of snow here. This is our 1st time with a dish.
Net is not working, hooked up thru the phone. Does a guy need to sweep the snow off the dish? Thanks guys!!
Sponsored Links

Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 5:53am
Been there, done that. Yes you have to clean it off.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 6:58am
I used to"key words are used to" have a Dish Network dish. every major snowstorm or thunderstorm no TV! They mounted the dish on my roof which I did not like and when I re roofed the house goodbye Dish! I now have a local Internet provider that uses a smaller dish and to get the best signal they mounted the dish on the silo by the barn and then use a repeater to shoot the signal to the house. They get their signal from a Cell Phone Tower 6 miles away and I never loose signal. As I'm typing this we are in an Ice Storm!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 7:21am
1. Yes, you have to keep the dish clean, or it can't focus the signal
2. Once you have it clean, spray it with PAM.  Almost all snow will slide right off for a long time!
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 12:48pm
When we had them, they had to be kept squeeky clean all the time which was stupid! Our little 3"x6"x2" bar we have NEVER needs cleaned, even works in ice storms!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 1:13pm
My experience was Pam got gunky after a short while (dusty area I guess). Spent more and bought dry silicone spray, worked great when I had Dish satellite network. Dish got to damn expensive, and mostly shows from other out state channels full of commercials or else sell ya somethin infomercials. Went to Internet with Roku $29 a unit and free service (lots of free content), $12 mo. Netflix, and Playon media casting service (lifetime charter when they first started $59 one time) there are many now at various prices, and a modem 5 yrs ago. Dish was wanting $70 a month. But as you can see I like Free as in Frugal.  $70 x 12 = $840 + $63 tax = $903 X 5yrs = $4515. Holy crap where'd that money go? That doesn't even include price hikes. Wow I gotta go look for that money.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 1:28pm
That's what I thought. I don't have tv thru this set up. So no large bills. Gonna have to buy longer broom.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 23 Jan 2019 at 1:28pm
Richard View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 1:33pm
We were watching TV one night during a snowstotm and the picture went away. i thought the dish was probably collecting snow, but the picture returned. Then went away again, then came back. It did that a couple more times before we went to bed. i checked the dish the next morning which was mounted on a post about 4 feet above the ground. i fount lots of deer tracks around it. 
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 1:46pm
They were tuning in on you to see what you were doing. LOL
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 2:24pm
Well,......I only used pam in the winter time to keep snow from sticking.  I would think that yes, that would collect dust.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 5:45pm
I dropped DISH years ago because of the cost for little of nothing. 200 channels of garbage and I watched maybe 3 or 4 of them.
 I now have an old antenna hooked up in the attic and get 34 different channels.
 I can also find about anything I want to watch on the internet. Here is one I looked at the other day, thanks to Pastor Mike, but haven't gotten anywhere near through lookin at what all is available on it https://pluto.tv/tv/nbc-news-1
With this link NBC news comes up right now anyway, just click on the yellow circle at the lower right and you can scroll all the different channels available.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 23 Jan 2019 at 5:46pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 10:09pm
Snow slid off by itself. So far working great.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic