This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

take another crack at her

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: take another crack at her
    Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 8:38pm
Back in Feb of 2008 I applied for an Iowa barn and one room school house preservation property tax exemption. I filled out the paperwork and sent it in. The county sends out this city bot to look the barn over,. It must meet 2 items on the criteria list.

a) Is the barn built and placed into service before 1937? 

He looks at me and asks me the above question. I said that if'n he goes over and looks at the door jamb there might be a sticker telling the month and year it was built. Or he could also check the vin number. 
The guy goes and looks. And what is so special about 1936 barns versus 1939 barns is beyond me. YeR just gonna have to take my word for it, I tell him Geez. It says in great big numbers on the front of it 1917.

b) Is The barn an ag structure used for the storage of grain, feed, or used for the housing of farm animals \, poultry, or farm machinery? 

You can clearly see that it's used for a storage shed. There's even a kitchen in it. He said that in the number of yeARS HE'S WORKED FOR THE COUNTY, NOBODY ELSE HAS EVER APPLIED FOR SUCH TAX BREAK. 

Denied he said. Apparently that one bale of straw wasn';t enough to persuade him. I'm trying it again this year. Got that leakin WD in thAR AN 4 BALES OF STRAW THIS TIME. wISH ME LUCK. 
I still gots my A/C but it's clear out in the barn now.
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 8:53pm
Borrow a hog or 2, and let him walk through sh!t...Wink
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 11:10pm
wanna borrow my goat?
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 12:05am
I tried to get the old Slaymaker Home listed on the Nation Historic Registry. It was a balloon built frame house, built in 1853, and still had original glass (with bubbles) and some original door hardware. It had to be one of the first frame built homes in this area, outside of any town.
 I was trying to save the house and had done a lot of work on it before my accident. I was hoping for tax breaks and maybe some kind of help restoring it.
 It was the biggest mess of jumbled up nonsense I have ever seen. You'd think it was government controlled. Pfffttt. The house is all gone now, along with all the original buildings except the Ice House.Cry

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 21 Jan 2019 at 12:08am
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 4:32pm
My house was built in 1914 and everyone says to list it with the city's preservation society. I tell them their nuts. They can buy it at an outrageous price and list it themselves. If I listed it, I swear I would have to get a permit to put a fan in the window, and also pay for said permit. Not happening on my watch. Right now I'm fixing the claw tub drain piping, this old 1-3/8" piping hardware is difficult to source as 1-1/4' and 1-1/2' have been the new standard for decades. Even 40-50 yr old look at me with a blank stare then say "gotta upgrade".  I won and found some old stock. 
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 5:27pm
that's the problem with SIGNING UP to be a "HISTORICAL" site... Once they give you $1. they want to DECIDED how you upgrade, what you upgrade, what materials can be used, and what COLOR the building can be....... Check first.. sometimes it just aint worth it.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

wanna borrow my goat?

PIMP...WinkWinkLOLLOL
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 6:07pm
Not really the same, but it reminds me. The house I grew up in has gone through many changes over the years. The only part that “remains” from the original homestead is what amounts to the 2 west bedrooms. At the time, there was a separate kitchen structure and don’t know what else.

Anyway, mom and dad did a major remodel in the 70’s. That old area was all rough sawn wood, a 2x 4 was 2x4. That basic structure remains, lots of fun mating things up to the newer and look good.

In the walls, next to the wood they found newspaper articles about Jesse James train robberies. Also found beautiful pencil or maybe charcoal sketches of like “bounty ships” or a clipper type. Really neat!!!

And yeah...they’ve been LOST!!!

Edited by Tbone95 - 21 Jan 2019 at 6:08pm
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

wanna borrow my goat?

PIMP...WinkWinkLOLLOL

ROTFLMAO! Darrel
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 8:57pm
Les, don't know how your Dept. of Revenue regulations are but here that would clearly meet the guidelines you stated. Here if the tax appraiser turned it down you could appeal to the county Board of Assessors and if no luck there go to the Board of Equalization. Some boards have people with common sense who will work with the taxpayer. Sounds like the appraiser did not know WTH he was doing. If you go before either board go armed with facts and a good attitude.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
GARY(OH/IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 11:02pm
A good reply by Hubert with the last two words of the post being the most important. GOOD ATTITUDE.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 6:39pm
Les-  the Iowa Barn exemption is more-or-less 'tied into' Iowa Barn Foundation's efforts to preserve agricultural history, particuarly focused on structures a century and older.

Your local government representative was probably following up on the IBF's support guidelines, as it's IBF that rallied for exemption for antique structures being retained for historical preservation purposes... the reason for the exemption, is so that landowners who have old structures, have an additional reason to keep and maintain old, unused barns, that would otherwise be left to fall, dismantled, or burned down.

...And Steve is dead-on correct-  when you pledge your barn for ANY assistance, particularly from IBF, the requirements are pretty extreme.  My barn is plenty old (first stood in 1886), but to be eligible for IBF recognition and support, I had to be using it for it's ORIGINAL AGRICULTURAL PURPOSE... it's a dairy barn...  and I'd have to restore it in the same form under which it was originally built... wood-frame sliding windows, cedar shake roof, etc.,  remove the electric lights and receptacles...

The first two were exclusive from the git-go.  First reason:  I'm a field service technician and engineer, not a dairy-farmer.  If I went into dairy farming, I could NOT do it with this structure, and those methods, in such a scale as to make it anything but a money-loosing path to early death.  Second... if I wanted to PRESERVE the building, it would need to be both physically, and economically within my means to maintain.  It's not my intention to make the building's daily care-and-maintenance my primary occupation.

So while many have approached me about joining the IBF and looking for their assistance, I've never pursued it, because it is impossible- it would cost me substantially more to try to restore and own, than the IBF's assistance AND a tax exemption would ever equate.  If I just kept using it as-is and maintaining it (at least, from an exterior perspective, using modern materials, it'd at least be useful enough to justify not knocking it down and putting a big pole shed in it's place.

Which has always confounded me... if they're so hot-to-trot to preserve history, why the hell wouldn't they try to do the FIRST step- make it so that there's a reason to at least PRESERVE THE BUILDING... an incentive to keep an old barn standing... because once they fall down or burn, there's nothing for the future....

Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 10:59pm
Dave is correct!!  There are a number of govt. programs out there that will (supposedly) save you money, but actually are quite the opposite.  I've looked into a few of them here in WI and even though you still own the property, YOU can't do ANYTHING without their OK.
Remember, if it's coming from the Govt. and it sounds too good to be true.......
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic