This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sucessful motor change out D graders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sucessful motor change out D graders
    Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 9:46pm
Recently spoke with friend from Texas that has successfully changed out motors in D model Graders. Maybe this information could help someone. Start with any 4 cyl industrial motor that fits within the confines of engine bay. Has 3 pulleys on front of crank obviously for alternator and hydraulic pump. Plexiglass to draw on for building adapter plate motor and bell housing . Make your measurements from center always from center he said. Use original Allis C clutch throw out bearing , pressure plate. If your not a machinist you will need a machine shop to build a flywheel to bolt on to new crank and holes to mount Allis Pressure plate. Build your flywheel as heavy as you can for the most kinetic energy you can get around 90 to 100 lb flywheel. My under standing is he milled a hole big enough for a bushing or bearing to press in center of flywheel to accommodate pilot shaft. Engineer motor mounts as needed for new motor. The D model grader, that he loaned me to grade some roads on some property I had in Coryell county texas, was one he had changed the motor out in. The motor he used in it was a 4 cyl diesel Hercules, 80 something horsepower. By the way I remember it was a military engine. If interested Google 4 cyl diesel Hercules motors several 4 cylinder motors pop up with different hp ratings.                            Hope this can help in some way.
Sponsored Links

Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 8:20am
Hi.   Do you have any pictures of this grader?   Ross.
sparky52 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 12:13pm
no I don't, just my recollection . I recently bought a model DD . After getting it home found that the water pump shaft had slack, other than that just needs cosmetics . It did have cab, but I removed it because of my preference. I know where there is another grader locally that has a motor in it that overheated
, I've been thinking about buying and changing motor out in it . Hard to explain here but I have some ideas to make it more simple. For example when locating a new motor other than the obvious front pulley arrangement, you need to pay attention how far out or how for in the crankshaft is from back of motor so pilot shaft from transmission will work. Be happy to talk to you if you have questions. phone number 318 359 0292 .                     
sparky52 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 1:40pm
In the original post I stated my friend, explained to me to build a heavy flywheel, I'm starting to question this rational, after reading about flywheel inertia. seems to me heavy, heavy flywheel among other things would be hard on starters . check out how to calculate for flywheel inertia.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 6:34pm
The purpose of the really heavy flywheel was torque maintenance, as the engine built energy up and had rpm the weight of inertia of that massive chunk of steel made torque for power curve.

Edited by DMiller - 16 Jan 2019 at 6:35pm
wnwillis77 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wnwillis77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 10:32am
Motor graderD, ser.# D1547, 4 cyl gas engine ser.#21549. Any information on the model of this engine? Raised numbers on block behind carb A-14-G, other side of block AM 3853-14 with 4 underneath. I have searched high and low on the internet trying to determine the model and year of this engine but have had no luck. I don`t think this is the original engine for the grader. Also have another engine that the seller included. Tag on that one indicates Power Unit Model W-226, Serial # PU 96742 W. I`m wondering if this one is interchangable with engine now in grader. Any help on this is appreciated.
sparky52 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 9:33pm
Sorry, but I would not be able to help you. Post it on the forum somebody can.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 4:46am
Would need to know the grader serial number.  its on a tag, on the rear frame, right side, I think, where you step up to get in the operators position, about a 4" X 4" tag... If its gone, post a picture of the grader, be sure to show the grille, and any decals...

It will be a 4 digit number, less'n its a very early unit...Wink
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 6:00am
Good photos of the engine would likely help. The casting number you posted looks like it might be a 226, possibly like used in a WD45.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 1:20pm
willis , the D model started to be built in the 1940s and used the same engine that the WC tractor used at  that time... 4 cylinder 201 cubic inch. Later in the decade the tractors had been upgraded to the WD and WD45 and the motor was also enlarged to 226 inches.. You can use either motor in the tractor, the larger motor would obviously have a few more HP.. If you get a motor that was in something "special" like a power unit or generator unit, etc.. it "MIGHT" have a different governor, lube system, etc... but the basic motor would fit.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 11:53am
That same 226 engine was also used in the D17 gas farm tractor. The transaxle of the D grader was also used by Galion graders and they used IHC engines in their graders. The engines are mounted to the transaxle by a adaptor plate so it is possible that the transaxle served a variety of purposes and a variety of engines. When I made some upgrades to my D grader I shifted the hydraulic pump to be driven off the end of the crankshaft as I could never get the belts to the hydraulic pump tight enough to stop the pump from stalling now and then even with new belts.
Jack of all trades, master of none
twostwp120 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twostwp120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 12:02pm
The grader  serial # D 1547.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twostwp120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 12:11pm
From from what I can determine from the grader serial number the grader was built  in 1952. I could be mistaken. From what you told me, the power unit motor  that I have must have been in the machine at some point, and replaced with the present one. The PU shows 226 on the I'd tag. Thanks to everyone who replied  to my questions. You have been most helpful.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twostwp120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 11:04am
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twostwp120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 11:15am
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twostwp120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 11:17am
Right click on each image, then from dropdown click view image.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twostwp120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 2:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic