This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coyotes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 1:01am
We useta have a whole lot of guys hunt them here. Unfortunately they have gotten old and their sons that used ta hunt with them got hitched up with a young gals. Nobody's hunting them anymore.
Sponsored Links

Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 4:29am
Ranse, that was a good shot, maybe a bit of luck involved. Harder to make a shot like that with a scoped rifle than with open sights. And that is one NICE model 700, IMHO one of the best centerfire rifles made. And dang it I only have one - 7mm-08. 
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 3:30pm
Blinkies don't even slow them down. 12ga 3" mag. BB loads however will. --Problem is they only come at night when you can't see them.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 4:48pm
Pack out close to here had pups last year, trapper got most of them but a mating pair still run the low hiding spots. I got two two years ago where they figured out near the house is Death and stay well away so am working on my 400yd skills practicing. May get a chance across the valley in my Brome field I can see from the Deck.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 8:22pm
They're exceptionally sly here... they yip and howl, but stay very well out of the illumination.  i've tried baiting and calling them in, and they don't.

neighbor guys wait till it's good and cold, with a fresh layer of snow, then set up positions, and have one or two guys walk through the trees along the creeks, and once they're up and running, they call out the spots.

I was listening on the radio (they didn't know it), but I heard 'em calling out one that was out-of-reach of their positions.  I took my rifle up to the third story window, and spotted it... it stopped for just long enough to catch a flying 90gr 243.  When it dropped, they all saw it go down...  it was fun listening to 'em all talking, tryin' to figure out who took the shot.  ;-)
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 9:15pm
Thinking of getting a night vision scope. Only problem is I will need to buy a rifle to mount it on. There are some good ones out there now at reasonable prices. Then maybe I can thin out the coyotes and hogs.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 7:53am
had 2 deer hit this week so far by vehicles, night time the coyotes knaw on them, daytime they get picked by 2 eagles.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 8:45am
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

neighbor guys wait till it's good and cold, with a fresh layer of snow, then set up positions, and have one or two guys walk through the trees along the creeks, and once they're up and running, they call out the spots.

That's the way they do it over here too Dave. There used to be a whole bunch that spent the winter hunting them. They usually got 20 or so if there were several snows.
 The last few years, it's been one of the few still living, his 2 sons, maybe a couple of the  boys friends and sometimes my brother. Sunday morning , brother and 3 others got 5 of them by 11 in the morning. They got 2 yesterday without any fresh snow.
 Last year that small group killed 19 of them in about 3 days. That was early February when the males come from all over to find a female.
 The neighbors boy and my brother both started using an AR. If you see one runnin at 200 yards, you don't have to bolt the thing to shoot again and can easy see the snow fly if you miss.
 I hunted with them before, but used a 12 gauge, with 3 inch mag BB shot. Now days, 4 buck is legal to use in Illinois. You still have to have a 30 to 40 yard shot to knock one down, and best to hit em square in the face with the shotgun.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 8:46am
The Looney Tunes - Wile E Coyote ACME Company Catalogue. Now I can get the stuff to hunt that darn Roadrunner!  nevver:  “ The Acme Catalog  ”
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 8:48am
Image result for Willie E Coyote ACME catalog
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 10:11am
Have to laugh, Mother in Law was from Maryland Heights MO, West St Louis County, born and raised. The locals were having deer issues, eating all the High Dollar have to be replaced shrubbery and Insurance Does NOT pay for animal damages!! That led to calls INSISTING On having Dept Of Conservation trying to round up the deer to transplant where many died as transported(stressed) some died from lack of area placed in knowledge so Step 2, allowed the hunting BY BOW in the Suburbia landscape, OMG the PETA Morons were on that as stink to a skunk, still happens just quieter.

THEN came the Coyotes, smell of blood, Trash with meat in it, small pets started disappearing, a few were seen taken by Yotes, Cats all but disappeared so MORE Calls to trap(LIVE) and replant, but that failed MISERABLY as the Coyotes RAPIDLY learned of human scented traps. Still more pets go away, now the PETA AND the Locals agree that they may be trapped and killed HOWEVER, few trappers still exist, been run off, do NOT want to come back and get run off again. So long story short, St Louis County has and will CONTINUE to have a Coyote problem ALL Thanks to the Idiots that stopped firearms hunting and trapping DECADES ago.

Edited by DMiller - 16 Jan 2019 at 10:11am
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 3:14pm
Amazing you can smarten some part of Wink the know  everything bunch up,once in a while.But as the old saying goes "nothing new under the sun" old Wiley E is going catch what he can. So Fluffy better look out for itself, or some Snowflake is going to have a new reason to need a support animal. LOL
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

Amazing you can smarten some part of Wink the know  everything bunch up,once in a while.But as the old saying goes "nothing new under the sun" old Wiley E is going catch what he can. So Fluffy better look out for itself, or some Snowflake is going to have a new reason to need a support animal. LOL

Might be the best thing, to give a snowflake a coyote, AS a support animal...Wink
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 6:59pm
Coyotes have been Yipping at night lately,getting ready for mating season. Friend of mine and I bought 6.5 Creedmoor Rifles because OUR DNR says we can not use a caliber larger than .269 at night. We can use lights, night vision or thermal imaging. Just no .270 or larger caliber! Go figure!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 12:52pm
Dave that is a real good idea.LOLLOLLOL Just need to get past the Fish&Wildlife officer that thinks he is the keeper of them. But said officer could well be a Snowflake as well today.Wink

Be fun to see the Snowflakes missing body parts CryConfusedOuch from coyote chewing them off in place food the flake forgot to provide. LOLLOLLOL

Edited by Ray54 - 17 Jan 2019 at 12:56pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic