This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fighting Nature

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fighting Nature
    Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 2:40pm
Been one of those weeks already, is STILL Saturday for me but man what a set of Saturdays its been.

To start off dropped a bunch of Honey locust in the Cemetery in our front yard, been piecemeal cleaning it up as I can, leaves were off and bugs down so good time to get after. Dropped SIX HL trees from 2-14" across at base, Tordon on the stumps and then cut them down where could pallet fork move BIG pieces to a brush pile TO ROT awhile? Monday I received my LP Fuel alternate Fuel sticker for the old GMC, took it down to MFA on Tuesday to get filled but would not take any, the old 80% liquid auto shut off fill port had failed, Obsolete and no parts available so the Gas guys ordered a new fill port as well a 80% fuel gauge check port as is how business is done these days, SHOULD be here tomorrow and pick the old wagon up late day.

Meanwhile Shameless has US in his sights come Friday so aired the slow leak L Fr on the 180(thorns) and slung chains to it then put it in the shop replaced the tube, pulled as many thorns as could locate(2) and disassembled the L Fr hub for new bearings as THEY Were Bad!! Not a good time!!

Edited by DMiller - 09 Jan 2019 at 2:44pm
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 2:45pm
Bearings be here tomorrow. Locust trees only got me ONCE!!

Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 3:40pm
Hate those honey locust.  Wouldn't drive your tractor anywhere near where they fell for like 5 years.....those thorns never seem to die or "rot away".  I had a very small branch left over at the side of the rode and somehow, someway that thing ended up in the sidewall of my truck tire;  pffffft.
Love to burn them and hear those thorns popping away knowing there never going to get my tires!
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 6:15pm
My Grandfather , my father and his brothers spent their lives cutting out the honey locust on our farm.They claimed the pastures and timber was choked full of it. My dad hated that stuff. One day in the big town they were planting trees along the street, yep honey locust. The old man about flipped out
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 6:19pm
Black Locust appear similar but next to no thorns. We have both on the property where I keep the Blacks and burn out the Honey locusts. Large tree to the right and the three set of small trees directly in front of that in the cleared mess photo are all Black Locust and will be spared for shade & eventual firewood.

Edited by DMiller - 09 Jan 2019 at 6:20pm
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 1:47am
Black Locust is also a very good wood to work with.  Makes EXCELLENT furniture or table tops.  BEAUTIFUL grain!  They never get very big though.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 6:32am
Some of our Black Locust are close to 30" across at the base, rival some White oak for size. One at that old cemetery got hit by lightning dropped it a few weeks back and after two years STILL solid and oily in the main trunk. it was 22" across.

Edited by DMiller - 10 Jan 2019 at 6:33am
ihc pickups View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ihc pickups Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 7:54am
IMO the only way to handle any thorny locust is with a D-9 Cat. Dig a hole and bury it. I does make good firewood but the thorns make it impossible to work with.
Mike
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 8:47am
Problem with the Dozer is the roots, every Live root left in the ground will sapling out, seen it happen and is NOT pretty. Takes Grazon or a mix of 2-4-D Tordon and Crossbow to kill those off which could take years. Drop the trees, Tordon or and I cannot think the other product, the stumps the root systems die then only have to deal with Seedlings that tend to stay localized.
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 9:11am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Some of our Black Locust are close to 30" across at the base, rival some White oak for size. One at that old cemetery got hit by lightning dropped it a few weeks back and after two years STILL solid and oily in the main trunk. it was 22" across.

Yep, we're over west of you DMiller, near the state Line.  Our Black Locust get real big too.  I've taken down 3 or 4 that measure 33" to 36" across.  Also had a Walnut tree that blew over....it was 36" across.  Unfortunately someone years ago had put in tree climbing spikes for a deer stand so the mills wouldn't take it.....probably could have retired on that sale!
We now have an amish saw mill near us and hoping to find some more of that black locust to have milled.
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic