This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hog Jaw, Blackeye Peas, & Turnip Greens

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hog Jaw, Blackeye Peas, & Turnip Greens
    Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 12:44pm
This is the traditional New Year's day meal around here. For as long as I remember, my parents, grandparents, and I suppose their parent before them has been fixing hog jaw (jowl bacon), blackeye peas, and turnip greens for New Years.

I often wondered if this was a southern tradition, or if any of you Yanks do it as well. Here's what I know about it (and I didn't google this), you but a dime in the pot while cooking the blackeye peas. The person who finds the dime supposedly will have good luck the whole year. Turnip greens naturally are green, so supposedly the more you eat, the more money you will make in the year. I don't know what the deal is with the hog jaw, other than that was always a big part of it.

This could just be a local tradition. I have a friend that lives in Tampa. He says the grocery stores don't sell jowl bacon down there. Not even at New Years. This doesn't surprise me. Florida no longer fits my idea of a Southern state. I just wondered what the rest of the country thought about this. If you have anything to add to this, or if you have a different tradition please share.
Sponsored Links

LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 12:51pm
pork and sauerkraut was always the New years meal in my family, but I really do not know why
never had hog jowl, or black-eyed peas, that I know of. I love turnip and mustard greens, but I don't eat them very often because I am the only one in the family that does
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 2:04pm
Ranse,
When I was a kid we always had homemade oyster stew and fried scallops and we are not near the ocean. More recent we have ham and bean soup or pork and sauerkraut. This year we had pizza, guess we must be getting older??
Regards,
 Chris 
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 3:02pm
Ranse, we have basically the same thing - blackeyed peas, collard greens, and this year I am substituting smoked boston butt for the hog jowl, good eating. Been eating this for New Year's ever since I can remember. We will just have to forgive the good people up Nort' who don't know any better. 

Don't think we can consider Florida a southern state any longer.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 3:06pm
Chris, the pork and sauerkraut or ham and bean soup sounds good, and the oyster stew and fried scallops would be delicious but pizza??? That might get you run out of the country. LOL
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 4:11pm
Just finished mine. The loving wife fixed cracklin' cornbread, cream style corn fried down in a cast iron skillet, and rice to go with the aforementioned items. I will have to wait awhile before I even think about dessert.
weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 5:16pm
Dad raised black eye peas so I ate more than my share and I love them.  Tried turnup greens once,  once was enough.  Why are they called peas instead of beans?  Everybody around here eats split pea soup which I don`t care much for,  growing up we  had whole pea soup which I love.

Edited by weiner - 01 Jan 2019 at 5:20pm
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 8:03pm
Had my share and a few more shares of hog jowl. Walmart was out of black eyes and I don't care for greens so I may not have any money when the year finishes but I've got a belly full of pig.
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 7:26am
Yep, ham bone, black eyed peas and corn bread here.

I never did understand that north and south stuff.  Just an ole country boy here.
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 2:40pm
I the Wife and 3 little Boys moved from South Holland Illinois to Longview Texas in 1968 and had a few lifestyle adjustments to make.    Thinking about it We just moved from the Upper Midwest to the Southern Midwest.   Really don't miss the snow all that much.
    Adopted the Tradition of "Blackeyed Peas" for New Years.  Wife prefers " Pinkeye Peas" over Blackeyes.  Not the Dried Kind.   Greenshelled is the only way to go. They Freeze well so We have a freezer full to enjoy like Fresh in the winter.

Peas "Southern" are also a Cash Crop All Summer in these parts of Texas.  North East.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 2:42pm
Pork and Sauerkraut was what we have always had
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 12:30pm
If I want hog jowls around here, I've gotta order it.  The stores here just don't have it in stock anymore.  Of course they don't have beef heart or liver anymore either.  I have to order it,,,,,,and then it comes sliced SO THIN,,,,,,,,UGH!!  I don't think it's a north / south thing anymore, it's these dang spoiled kids that don't eat anything,,,,,,,,unless it comes from McD's or Burger King, Sonic, etc.... AND, THEY THINK that cwrap is good food!!  I asked my grand daughter (shes a finicky eater) if she's ever seen a chicken with fingers,,,,,,,,,BOY,,,,,,,,what a look I got!!  So then her mother and I discussed what parts of the chicken it probably came from. LOL  I think that chicken fingers are no longer on her menu....
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 7:01am
 I was in one of the grocery stores the other day and walkin down the canned food isle,,,I come up on some,,,,,Black Eyed Peas With Jowles,,,hadn't ever noticed them till readin this thread, so I got a couple of cans so the wife can give em a try,,,,,Wink
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 11:23am
Y'all makin me hungree
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 2:22pm
Steak-rare, fried sliced Potatos, Salad w/Blu-cheese, and a tall ICE TEA to be healthy!!!!
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 2:24pm
I rather have my steak medium well please
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 3:41pm
Med Rare at most, and crispy fried on the tators.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 6:01pm
Just to jump in here, just had a bone in rib-eye, medium rare, with fries.  I am ready for some well needed bed time!
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 6:16pm
Hey Shameless, Where are you? Are you sick? I figured by now you would have jumped in here knowing how you like to cook. I never gotten a handle on that dang spoiled cabbage and furthermore not in this life time.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 6:45pm
Can remember nothing but Pig, Black Eye Peas and Spinach greens on New Years first full meal. Same for this year. Mom would once in a while sneak in Pickled Herring as they will NOT swim backward!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic