This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Maytag wringer washer problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maytag wringer washer problem
    Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 5:30pm
Got a new pair of overalls and since it was such a nice day I decided to use the shop washer to break them in.   Near as I can tell the washer is a 1945 N2L.  Filled with water and soap all good, put it the clothes an the dasher slowed way down but the motor didn't.  The shaft coming up from the transmission is a 6 spline 3/4", the bushing that adapts to the dasher is metal on the inside that fits on the shaft and rubber on the outside, 16 spline by 1-3/8" OD.  What happened is the metal is slipping inside the rubber part.  Does anybody know of anyone fabricating parts for these or should I just go the Flex Seal Glue route?  Metal part is somewhat free but doesn't want to come off the shaft and I don't want to force it.
Maximum use of available resources!
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 8:04pm
Have you tried googling the parts digram and list for your model?  Lotsa this stuff is available to those that restore them...  Once you get a part number, you're halfway there...Wink
old farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 8:24pm
You might try Shipshewana In area as it has a large Amish population with shops that repair maytag washers or any other area that has Amish as most use Maytag washers with gas motors. Maybe Yoder’s Hardware In Shipshewana.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 9:18pm
You might try eReplacement Parts.com. They say they have millions of parts about anything except guns.(I think) Really good service.  Leon
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 5:20am
This thread reminds me of the expression, "don't get yer tit caught in the wringer!"Wink
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 7:01am
My previous research gave the model and approximate year but I haven't found any drawings for it. Drawings for others show the bushing but the splines aren't drawn so I'm not certain of the part number. I've found a couple of forums but not much information, Amish must be tight lipped on the subject. When I first brought it home Dave Maddux warned me about the wringer thing too, I'm thinking I need a better class of friends.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by JW in MO JW in MO wrote:

I'm thinking I need a better class of friends.
Naw JW, you're stuck with us...............and besides, we're the top of the class!
If I remember correctly, my dad had a rag stuck on the shaft and pounded the dasher down on it.  I don't know how long that lasted as mom wouldn't use it that way so it went to use cleaning parts and smelt in the spring.

Try this JW.....
http://www.davesrepair.com/pdfmanuals/mytN2partsman.htm
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 1:21pm

https://www.automatice.org/cgi-bin/index.cgi?showdoc~1375~Maytag~

Published by Maytag in 1957

-- This is a comprehensive service manual for many of the electric Maytag Wringer washers made from 1933 thru 1957 and beyond. Serial number identification chart is included to help determine the approximate date of your machine. Full repair and rebuild instructions are included.
Models included: 80, 90, F, 15, 10, 110, 18, 25, N10, A, 30, 32, E, J, N, E2, J2, N2.

Number of Pages: 56
File Size: 51mb
Download Fee: $7.99

1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 4:47pm
Leahmans Hardware, Kidron, Oh.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 5:51pm
Well Ted, I cut three 1/2" wide strips from a postcard and placed them in the bushing hoping the water would slightly swell up and hold, lasted for about 10 minutes before it melted.
Didn't have time to make any calls today but I will try tomorrow. Thanks for all the info so far, I'll get into everything tomorrow.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 6:17pm
Tell em ya need a new y for your logo too.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 6:27pm
Well Ted, I cut three 1/2" wide strips from a postcard and placed them in the bushing hoping the water would slightly swell up and hold, lasted for about 10 minutes before it melted.
Didn't have time to make any calls today but I will try tomorrow. Thanks for all the info so far, I'll get into everything tomorrow.
Darrell G (MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrell G (MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 7:51pm
Ted you have ole JW all shook up,now he's posting things twice.  Oh I forgot he must have thought ole Shameless would be reading this, so I guess double posting is needed.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 7:58pm
You might be able to adapt one from a dependable care machine (next model, automatic washing machine) if you can't find one for a conventional. I might have one around here.

I could talk to a cousin of mine, he would know about parts availability. That's a good looking machine would be nice to keep her running.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 9:49am
Double posting is what happens when somebody from up Nort call complaining about the weather while you're typing.
This was close, (#A4731-B), but wrong outside spline, has 12,  I need 16, futher research showed this one is for the Blue agitator, mine is black.  If I had a rotary table I could make one.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 9:54am
gee.. maybe you could find a blue agitator  and replace your black one ??
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 10:20am
Wake up the Maytag repair man and his dog. They'll come out and fix it!  LOL!  Boy, I remember those. My Mother had one of dem!
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 10:25am
Clean both real good and apply a good amount of JB Weld and slap them together. Might last five minutes or five years?
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

gee.. maybe you could find a blue agitator  and replace your black one ??

Yeah them black agitators is always causin problems, at least from what I hear...Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic