This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rebuilding B and C Transmissions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rebuilding B and C Transmissions
    Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 3:21pm
Is there a "How To Video" of the process?  Cleaning rust and crud off gears and shafts first for sure.  Are light Rust Pitted parts OK to reuse.
Sponsored Links

Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 6:33pm
I have reworked several and took some pictures to show different problem I found at the time. Nothing organized in order. This link would be the closest I could find.

https://public.fotki.com/DickL/allis_b_transmissio-1/

I do know that the cup in the back fills up with thick crap and keep the roller bearings from getting lubed properly. That cup has to catch splashed oil.

Edited by Dick L - 11 Nov 2018 at 6:35pm
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 8:50pm
The printed shop manual should help rebuilding.
http://geraldj.networkiowa.com/Trees/Allis-Chalmers-G-B-C-CA-Service.pdf

Gerald J.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 9:17pm
My 45 has pitted gears from setting (top side) extended time non use before I got it 36yrs ago.Has done a lot of plowing and other hard work over the years with no issues. Just plants and bush hogs nowadays.
john2189 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john2189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by Ken in Texas Ken in Texas wrote:

Is there a "How To Video" of the process?  Cleaning rust and crud off gears and shafts first for sure.  Are light Rust Pitted parts OK to reuse.

if the pits are not too deep and you file them flush,  I use them, i look at as more places for gear oil to be to help lube them.

John
'41 Allis B
'45 Allis B
'49 Farmall Cub
'72 IH Cub
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 9:27pm
Dad's WD45 had light rust on the gears and some pitting. I wire wheeled all I could get to then flushed out the compartment before refilling with clean oil. It works just fine and if there is more gear noise I sure can't tell. If it has any badly chipped or broken teeth then I would take it all apart and make it shine.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 5:55am
Thanks all.   I remember viewing DickLs link many years ago. I have a noisy 39 box I would like to make Whisper Quiet.  A good rainy day project.  I have 2 egg crates of Tranny guts to look for good replacement parts in if needed.
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 6:11am
DickL
    When I and Gary restored B 751 we found the transaxle to be like new inside. Flushed it with diesel and filed it with Lucas. 
     I did note this early B gear box casting was not like later ones .    The filler plug was in a little different location.  More on the side than in the corner. Was B 44 casting a little different  like  on B 751?  Wish now I had a pic of this cast in  difference.

Edited by Ken in Texas - 12 Nov 2018 at 6:13am
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 11:06am
I haven't noticed a difference that I remember off hand other than the delete round core plug before hydraulic pumps. I have several different year transmissions laying around. I'll take some pictures if I remember when I am out and about. My short term memory is terrible. When I stop the think about it so is my short term memory.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 11:12am
Originally posted by Ken in Texas Ken in Texas wrote:

Thanks all.   I remember viewing DickLs link many years ago. I have a noisy 39 box I would like to make Whisper Quiet.  A good rainy day project.  I have 2 egg crates of Tranny guts to look for good replacement parts in if needed.

Shim for minimum back lash using a dial indicator. You would have to look up the minimum back lash. I don't remember it off hand.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 2:51pm
What's memory ?
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 4:01pm
Ken,  You are getting advice from one of the "finest mechanics I have never met"  Dick L knows the B inside and out.
Just remember if I can rebuild a transmission you sure can.  However, in the 40's and 50's the B transmission - like the Hyd Pump was bulletproof.  Had very little problem.  Sometimes jockeys like myself went to show off shifting on the go and caused trouble but basically no problems.  Like the B, very simple unit to work on
Take good care of my favorite.
Good Luck!
Bill Long

ps:  LOVE those B threads.

Edited by Bill Long - 12 Nov 2018 at 4:02pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic