This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Off Color Grain Drill/Seeder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Off Color Grain Drill/Seeder
    Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 7:58pm
So I stumbled across a Minneapolis Moline grain drill/ seeder. I can't explain it...I can't get it out of my mind. It's like I'm drawn to it. I was working a field next to this acreage, and there it was. I have no real practical use for it... room for it, etc. PLEASE don't make me go to some MM forum, I am hoping someone here knows a little about it. The owner told me they used it 5 yrs ago and it worked fine. Planted soybeans with it. Been sitting since. He'd sell it for $200. Maybe I could seed some waterways. Maybe it would sit in my yard as an ornament. Maybe I should just walk away... Temptation sucks...

1950 C, 1952 CA, 1961 D17 (Dads last tractor)

1944 Farmall B, 1947 Farmall B, Bobcat 610
Sponsored Links

Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 8:43pm
That thing looks pretty good. Sorry, I don't know anything about, but I can relate. It looks similar to an Oliver drill I have. I've never actually used it. I just think I might try raising soybeans again someday, so I hang on to it. I know mine raises and lowers mechanically. My guess is that one does too. They look to be similarly built, and I don't see a place for a hydraulic cylinder on it.
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 8:48pm
As nice as that looks...tell me why you should not own it?
KerryM View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 8:49pm
Nothing hydraulic. He says you pull the rope, it lowers and starts seeding. Pull it again and it raises, and stops. Paint looks good for its age... maybe thats why it looks so cool to me

KerryM View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 8:51pm
Ugh...you sound like my brain...

Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 9:20pm
Yes, when it's lowered the drive chains engage. If it's mine, you can flip some of the sprockets around to change the gear ratio for different types of seeds. It works pretty simple actually. My Dad only used it to plant grass seed. The only problem he had was the seed clogging the rubber hoses. That shouldn't be as much of a problem with larger seed. It always worked good for him, but it's not a hard land drill, which is what I could use more than this one. I've heard you can convert one, but I haven't looked into it.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 11:28pm
I used to have a newer version of it with rubber tires.  The disks were getting pretty worn so I sold it at a consignment sale for nearly what I'd paid for it 10 years earlier.  It went to someone poorer then me in New Mexico.  Did a good job.  The one in the pictures must not have spent much of it's life outside until recently.  Somebody needs it in their shed!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
allisorange View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisorange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 6:39am
Buy it. You will be mad later if you do not get it.

John Carlson
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 5:54pm
Good drill for planting into a tilled seedbed. I have planted thousands of acres with one. Dad bought one a year or 2 before the change to rubber tires,but the drills are the same. The axle is the week point, but on smooth ground should not be a problem. They are a straight shaft just need a pin whole or 2 put drilled. I used mine 3 years ago to plant 130 acres of safflower. I will use mine again if I ever plant safflower again. This one is much better shape than mine. Mine has never been stored inside that I know of.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 8:38pm
I got an IH McCormick that is similar in design. I got it cheap. I think its dual drive - got two ropes, one for each side or drive. Anyway it's row opener disc blades were worn out & it has about 20 rows, so it required 40 new openers blades to repair. That was not cheap. It does a good job though & it's reliably simple. So, check its openers for wear.
Reindeer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reindeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 10:32pm
I just had a flashback to my teen years when I saw the  pic of this drill!  Whoa!
Had one like it at home when I was growing up.  Worked great.  Fertilizer boxes were prone to rust out, took time to clean out each year and coat with oil to try to keep them working year in and year out.  

Edited by Reindeer - 08 Nov 2018 at 10:34pm

matador View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 2:10pm
I'd totally buy that thing. Honestly, that thing looks like it's in nicer shape than a lot of the IHC 510/5100s and John Deere 8200/8300 drills I see at auction

Edited by matador - 09 Nov 2018 at 2:10pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic