This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for
    Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 3:38pm
Solid steel 6” minimum square or round at least 3’ long and looking for 1” minimum flat plate at least 2’ bu 3’. Looking for ideas for either.
I’m thinking of cutting and welding some fork lift forks to make the solid piece.
Sponsored Links

Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 4:40pm
Heavy Industrial Fab and machine shops in this area would have, or can get, 6" thick stock. Several of the larger ones would cut it from plate. The 1" plate should be an easy find at most any fab shop or steel supply house. If you have a heavy industrial or bridge contractor in your area check with them, they might have some scrap plate from temporary floor reinforcing or road plates.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 5:34pm
I may not be picturing what you want, but you can get clamp on forks to put on a bucket that are not very expensive.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

I may not be picturing what you want, but you can get clamp on forks to put on a bucket that are not very expensive.

Ray what I was thinking of was to cut up some fork lift forks to make one solid chunk of steel. Probably not the best idea.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by Jim.ME Jim.ME wrote:

Heavy Industrial Fab and machine shops in this area would have, or can get, 6" thick stock. Several of the larger ones would cut it from plate. The 1" plate should be an easy find at most any fab shop or steel supply house. If you have a heavy industrial or bridge contractor in your area check with them, they might have some scrap plate from temporary floor reinforcing or road plates.

We do have a big old industrial machine shop. I’ll call them Monday. We have a couple steel yards but they don’t have much for drops.
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 8:31pm
I'm cringing at the thought of you cutting up pallet forks when I'm wanting a set

I still gots my A/C but it's clear out in the barn now.
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 8:32pm
ive been using a double hay spear set up

I still gots my A/C but it's clear out in the barn now.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 8:52pm
Well now we got to find them a ride to Iowa. I’ll send you a pic or two.
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 9:57pm
If you were going to cut up forks, you might find the shop has 1" x 6" flat bar, or could strip such from plate, to weld up for the 6x6 solid piece and save the forks if they are good, since Les is looking for a pair. If they are no good then that may be the least expensive way to get the piece you need. Using the forks sounds like you are looking for weight, not a piece to machine something out of.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 10:35pm
Well there ya go Les!!  Just add another reason to go down and get DJ to paint for ya and bring Thad and the forks with,,,,,,,,back to DJs......then the Ditch Witch should be done painted,,,,,,,,,bring DJ and Thad back with ya and we'll have us a BIG party!!  Shameless is buying the beef from Darrel up in ND and all the GOOD beer.  While we're all partyin,,,,,,DJ can 'borrow' that tractor and Thad can get that jeep he was promised....and if we're lucky,,,,somebody might stumble on that infernal machine and we can find a scrapper somewheres........Sound like a good plan??
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 11:51pm
All these posts but nobody has asked what he needs such a big piece of steel for.  Inquiring minds need to know... LOL
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 12:08am
wheelie bars for his old lady's rides?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 2:32am
oct 24th, big iron auctions are selling a fallout shelter stock, look under Caldwell bank list
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 5:34am
Originally posted by JohnCO JohnCO wrote:

All these posts but nobody has asked what he needs such a big piece of steel for.  Inquiring minds need to know... LOL

John I just ordered plans for a Blacksmith power hammer/ tire hammer. The plate is the base and the 6” solid is the anvil.
I’m just getting a jump start on the materials.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 6:16am
random thoughts as Mr. Sun hasn't come out to play...

hmm, 6" x 36" bar would weigh about 400#.....
could you use a 6" tube and fill it in with bar stock ?
how about a 6x6 'W' I-beam, fill the sides with scrap bars, weld solid ?
too bad Stelco ain't around, I got LOTS of 'billets' from there, great rear end weeights for Jeeps with snowplows.
any 1/2 decent steel scrapyards nearby? obvious idea, the one here gets 'oddball' stuff all the time.
maybe local machine shop has 'cutoffs'
Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 7:06am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 7:08am
The [URL=http://https://youtu.be/V9gRXa1IOrs]

Edited by Thad in AR. - 14 Oct 2018 at 7:12am
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 9:26am
Thad links and URLS are not working. What is the YouTube videos actual name?
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 11:51am
Hmm - son went to look at a motorcycle for sale - turned down the bike but came back with 3 sets of forks and one extra - seems guy had a pile of them and son gave him $200 for the full lot . 
 Lot of used forks out there but it's hard to find who has them . 
He had a fork truck sales place where he was getting them - when they reconditioned a machine they put new forks on them - he could get the used ones for $50 a set . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by chaskaduo chaskaduo wrote:

Thad links and URLS are not working. What is the YouTube videos actual name?

Clay Spencer tire hammer
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 1:46pm
 UMMmmm,,,Thad,,,That is an impressive machine,,,and don't take up very much real estate,,,,but,,,what are you gonna be mashin,,,????
 I know this dude that has a home made English wheel and uses it to straighten fender panels but the one you lookin at is much heavier duty,,,!!!!!
  I remember this dude up in Colorado that made a much smaller one and used it to mash copper pennies and sell to tourists,,,till the feds caught up to him,,,,,,Wink
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 1:59pm
This Url has 15 videos on this build
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s1C2U8tX8A&list=PLchELCpnhAiRLBu8lgVunoxw4wRSupHcp

HTH

Edited by chaskaduo - 14 Oct 2018 at 2:00pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 2:04pm
Joe it’s considered a 50 lb hammer. Not necessarily a big hammer as far as power hammers go. It will work on some big stuff but really work well on smaller more intricate work. When I make tongs and such I may spend a couple hrs drawing out the reins and with this hammer I can draw them out in minutes with just one or two heats. It really doesn’t eat up a lot of room. There are helve hammer designs that are much simpler but they take up twice the space. Jenny says when we finish the house I can build a small smithy and keep all the blacksmith stuff out of my shop.
I have a shoulder giving me a lot of trouble. I think this may let me still do the work with less pain.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 8:11pm
that the same thing as a planishing hammer?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 8:13pm
No
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 2:51pm
Seen a guy built one out of a log splitter 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by tadams(OH) tadams(OH) wrote:

Seen a guy built one out of a log splitter 

That sounds more like a press. Which would also be very handy in a blacksmith shop.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 6:10pm
Smashing toes!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 10:58pm
And we all know that feeling.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic