This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

slow but steady progress on HD16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: slow but steady progress on HD16
    Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 10:29am
Hello Friends

Between taking the old girl out to snort and push over a few trees in one of my fence rows, I continue to replace and repair parts for an eventual completed HD16DC reno. Wont be show quality like many shared on this site but for me it will be just enough to have everything working as it is supposed to and have a reliable runner.

I am putting back on the battery boxes that I had redone and they turned out like new. Very happy with them. Shooting final pain on them as soon as I get a warm non windy Michigan day. In prep for that, I made a new bracket and battery hold down set up incorporating a battery shut off switch. I like how it turned out.

I cut angle iron and primed and painted it and am bolting to floor of battery box and then running 1/2" bolts through the outside of the battery boxes so they are rock solid attached to the floor/fender and able to be used for pulling yourself up onto tractor. I will share those when I get the boxes ready to attach. Here are are the pics on the battery hold down set up I did. 2x8 boards are same width as the batteries. I used 1/2" threaded rod and bolted to the fender and up to the bracket. The bolts hold the threaded rod tight, and the wood board is locked in. I have heavy foam pads for under each battery for final install. Pads were what I use for inside horse boots so if heavy enough for a horse to stand on, should be good enough of the batteries.

I was also finally able to get dash lights and new headlights wired and working perfectly. Had to rewire the entire harness to get good connections. Original old wire split and many cracks.

Have a great week everyone.
HD16DC, Bobcat 863 Turbo, Oliver 1855, John Deere 855,
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 3:31pm
I liked you comment about pushing trees over that is one of the first things I did when I got my TD6 working! I think it is just part of owning one of these type of units, trees are in danger!Smile
BTW Battery hold downs looks very good. I like the idea of the battery shut off too!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 08 Oct 2018 at 3:32pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

I liked you comment about pushing trees over that is one of the first things I did when I got my TD6 working! I think it is just part of owning one of these type of units, trees are in danger!Smile
BTW Battery hold downs looks very good. I like the idea of the battery shut off too!
Regards,
 Chris

Thank you Chris. Some great AC folks on this forum suggested and a shut off was stock for this tractor.

Thanks to Cal, Rick, Coke, aCMel and others. This is a great site.
Dan Hauter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Hauter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 3:54pm
Good work.  Hope you enjoy rehab work on your HD16 and the old girl treats you right.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Dan Hauter Dan Hauter wrote:

Good work.  Hope you enjoy rehab work on your HD16 and the old girl treats you right.

So far she is a real lady! Lol
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 7:58am
Hello group and admirers of Persian Orange.

I made up battery hold down brake during a rainy afternoon this last week. Used the original for a template and just used steel inch and a quarter square steel tubing for all parts. $10.00 in total parts and about 2 hours work. I think it turned out pretty decent for an amateur. For cushion on the bottom of the 4 pads, I glued 4 pieces of heavy foam, more dense than rubber but very wear resistant to the bottoms. This padding material is used in horse boots for cushioning and you can cut it to fit any size hoof from pony to draft horse. Think it should hold up very well. Primed and painted already and on tractor. Now I have a matching pair.

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 8:50am
Looks like a good fab project. I think I have a bungee holding my battery in place and the way they rock and roll sometimes that is probably not enough! I will need to add something like to the list of things to do. 
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 12:28pm
Thank you.

It was pretty quick and works as well as the original clamp that I already had.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 1:46pm
Well dang Jerry,  I will have to fix mine now.   Orginal hold downs are long gone but the extra oil jug , track wrench, gloves and random broken tree parts hold the batteries pretty well.

Edited by CAL(KS) - 16 Oct 2018 at 1:56pm
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by CAL(KS) CAL(KS) wrote:

Well dang Jerry,  I will have to fix mine now.   Orginal hold downs are long gone but the extra oil jug , track wrench, gloves and random broken tree parts hold the batteries pretty well.

Hahahaha that rich Cal. I am not a fabricator by any stretch but if its small and simple I can work with it. Still, its pretty satisfying to find solutions for these old girls. Shooting some final paint this weekend. Provided the weather is not too windy and wet.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic