This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

616 Engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunny357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 616 Engine
    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 5:53pm
Going to repower the 616.  Anyone need the old engine?  Runs, is all there just uses a lot of oil and smokes, sometimes real hard to start, sometimes starts right up.  It can be yours for $250.  Come and get it.  Engine is an Onan CCKB.  Near Cherryville, NC.

Also a 60" mower deck that needs a thrust bearing.  Not all beat up or rusted out.  $200 for that.

email me.

Sponsored Links

Bird76Mojo View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird76Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 12:17pm
The 616 should have had a CCKA

GB :)
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 9:53am
it could have had a cckb put in at some time  . what engine are you going to use ? 23hp briggs vanguard is an excellant one to use as i have used them for swaps on 720 616 
Gunny357 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunny357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 4:03pm
Have a 3 cylinder Kubota diesel.  See some challenges but it'll go.  Might be a few weeks or so til ts running.  The Kubota a little longer and a little taller than the Onan.  

Driving the Allis from the front of the engine and adding a hydraulic pump on the flywheel end.  Reusing the Kubota radiator, because its a lot skinnier than the Onan engine will have room for the battery on one side and a hydraulic tank on the other.  Yes the Allis has a hydraulic system but want a second one for some other implements.

Alvin M View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alvin M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 4:18pm
Make sure it turns the same direction. 
Herb(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herb(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 8:44pm
Gunny357, your estimated costs for doing this retrofit? Herb(GA)
Gunny357 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunny357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 5:27pm
Alvin, that was the first thing I did.  Got friend to look at it and make sure I was looking at the whole thing correctly.

Herb.  As I got the engine for free, will nee an electric fuel pump and an electric fan for the radiator, maybe $200.

allisguy.11 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisguy.11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 7:45am
gunny I am doing the exact same project! the motor I have is a 3 cyl Kubota out of a cub cadet 1512. I have it to the point where it fits down in there nicely. im struggling with drive train stuff though.... planning on eliminating the 616 clutch and just running in second gear... seems like that's all I ever run it in anyway and if I wanna switch to go down the road or till or something ill just shut her down and shift. for the driveshaft im planning on taking the exsisting shaft and adding some u joints because its not a completely straight shot. I think I can use the old radiator too as you stated. What are your plans for the hydraulic cooler? I was planning on doing the electric fan route and adding a small stack cooler to the radiator. its gonna be sweet when its done.
Gunny357 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunny357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 5:29pm
I'm putting the Kubota in backwards, flywheel to the front to get correct rotation.  As I have never used and have no use for the rear PTO, just pull out the driveshaft and clutch for it.  The Kuboat will sit up a little higher than the Onan did so will just use longer belts to/for the clutch.  Removing some metal right now from the frame in the front axle pivot area to get the engine as low as possible.   The bottom shaft, the one that has the belts is the ne that drives the hydraulics and makes it go forward or back.
Right now using blocks of wood to get the engine exactly where and how I want it, then weld up some mounts.  Once that's done, the rest will be easy  
The donor engine is out of a generator, means I have 2 rubber engine mounts.  Thinking I may just mount it solid, don't use the runner at all.  Any thoughts or opinions on that?

Got the electrics all planned out, going to be real easy, except the ammeter, will look for a shunt so I can use the original ammeter.  Will add an oil pressure and temperature gauges, retain the oil and temperature idiot lights.

Have a used hydraulic pump that will mount under the injection pump for the second hydraulic system, use it to run a log splitter or maybe a hydraulic motor to run a mower or whatever.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic