This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Young gun needs some help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jersey Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Young gun needs some help
    Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 7:01pm
Hello everyone I'm new to the Forum new to Allis Chalmers and most of all new to owning a tractor but I can tell you this I am excited and I am prepared to take care of Allis but I'm not sure how to get started I'm best at explaining my whole situation and seeing how many different angles of opinions I can get on my situation so here we go I have just received an Allis 185 crop Hustler and she has been sitting for 15 plus maybe 20 years in a shop out of the weather but she is somewhat Rusty and she hasn't run in probably that long so what should I do should I drain the fuel lines should I change the filters what should I do to get her out of this building and onto a truck and down the road to a proper shop for a much-needed check up to see where I need to start anyone have any advice on getting this old girl running again please help. it is my soon-to-be father in law's old tractor that he has passed down to me and I would like her to run like a top and Sparkle in the sun again.
Sponsored Links

Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 7:21pm
15 years ago fuel was better. I would check in the sediment bowl and see if there is any water in it, if it has water in it, you might have problems. Take the inspection window off of pump and have a look.If it is rusty and cruddy, might as well pull pump off. If it is clean and no rust,I would try to start it. Flex ring will probably come apart if you try to start it, but it is worth a try with fresh fuel, might get lucky. JMHO, Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 7:48pm
Welcome! I wish you the best! Sounds great that you are willing to take on a family project tractor! You came to the right place!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 9:19pm
welcome to the forum Mack....and remember...there are no stupid questions here, someone will chime in and help you with anything!
AllisChalmers37 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AllisChalmers37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 9:22pm
Exactly. The best part of this forum is the members. And the orange tractors of corse.

Shameless dude, how ya been ole buddy?
1937 WC, 1950 CA, 1959 D14, 1967 190XT, 2006 Ram 3500
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 6:02am
You have a very good "first tractor" coming your way. 185's are a sweet machine. I'd say that if this "truck shop" down the road that you speak of works fairly reasonable. it sure wouldn't hurt to take it to them for a looking over. Good luck, and welcome. Darrel
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 9:31am
WELCOME to the GREATEST forum on the net.  You've got a good one to start with.  Just ask away and someone on here will give you some answers.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic