This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help identifying the loader on this WD-45?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help identifying the loader on this WD-45?
    Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 6:40pm
Was helping a buddy work on their WD-45 and it had this loader on it, but can't seem to find any markings on it and don't know anything about it.

Trying to get it running (sat for 8 years now), if that happens maybe we can get it out and I can get better pics of the loader if need be.
Sponsored Links

Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 6:48pm
Looks like it's got a gear reduction at the steering wheel.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by Dusty MI Dusty MI wrote:

Looks like it's got a gear reduction at the steering wheel.

Dusty

Hmmm, didn't notice that last night, but it sure looks like that in the photo. Wonder what that is about.

Also, noticed on the front end when they put the wide front on or maybe the loader, looks like they removed the hand crank spot and plugged it with a big piece of cork wood. Several oddities about this tractor that I can't quite place.
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 7:32pm
445 loader. Look under the front of the engine and you will see the hydraulic pump.

Edited by Don(MO) - 09 Aug 2018 at 7:35pm
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 8:42pm
Indeed, Don. Went back thru my photos and you can tell the main hydraulic line sure does go right underneath the front of the frame on the manifold side of the engine.

Also had another shot of the steering wheel that may be more informative.

Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 8:02am
Yep, that's a nice "full-time" hydraulics loader.

I'd like to learn more about the steering gear reduction system....looks well built.

I see it has a genuine A-C 3 PH adapter also.

Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 8:45am
I'm thinking M&W made the gear reduction units but I can be wrong. lol
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 10:55pm
So I am back out working on this tractor again, and can try to get some more pics of the steering wheel gearbox reducer if anyone is interested, or can let me know where to look for a mark or number on it.

Also trying to figure out where to add hydraulic oil for the loader and what weight. I use 20W in my WD hydraulics (non-detergent), but no idea on this loader. Looks like there's a reservoir on the side? And potentially fill caps on the loader uprights? Or are those just vents? I am new to loaders. Just trying to get the tractor running, but need to lift the loader to get it out of the shed once she starts.
housemover View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote housemover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 11:16pm
   Regeared steering is a direct result of putting a front loader on a tractor with out P/S.   My Grandfather basically did the same thing (in the early 1940's) with a 38 WC when he put a Jayhawk Loader on it.   The only difference was that the gearing change on the WC's ratios were done by changing the gears in the bolster above the front wheels.   Gives the operator more power but it turns the front wheels slower.   Housemover
housemover View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote housemover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 11:25pm
   Forgot to mention 2 things in my 1st post.  That loader would have been sold on a late D-17 or  170/175.   Also if the WD 45 does not have a 4 bolt front end please be a little careful how full you fill the bucket with heavy material!!   Housemover
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 8:05am
Looks like a 445 and oil should go to left tower. I think that was the nicest setup you could get though Allis.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 8:16am
Originally posted by allisbred allisbred wrote:

Looks like a 445 and oil should go to left tower. I think that was the nicest setup you could get though Allis.

Good deal. Is there a dip stick/level check spot on the loader?

I found this sheet that says... SAE 10 for the oil, but not how much?

Originally posted by housemover housemover wrote:

Forgot to mention 2 things in my 1st post.  That loader would have been sold on a late D-17 or  170/175.   Also if the WD 45 does not have a 4 bolt front end please be a little careful how full you fill the bucket with heavy material!!   Housemover

Hmmm will check the front end next time I am out.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 8:30am
I can’t see the plumbing in the pictures. If it goes to the left tower, there is a dipstick attached to the vent. Over full will run out when loader is down through vent. Hydraulic oil should be what is used.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 8:47am
You will want to drop that oil out the bottom of left side tower and clean the screen insert if it still has one. UHF will be sufficient when re-filled and a good cleaning of the cap for venting, soak it in gas overnight to get crud out and blow it out with compressed air, sometimes takes brake clean spray for final cleaning and it has to be able to breath.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 9:00am

Forgot to mention  That loader would have been sold on a late D-17 or  170/175.

That is one of several 400 series loaders.
445 was specifically for the WD-45
Then there were the 414, 415, and 417 models  to fit the D series tractors.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 9:06am
GG, that is a page from the "Operating Instructions and Parts Illustrations" manual.
If you have the whole manual, you should be able to find the answers to all (or at least most) of your questions.

Originally posted by garden_guy garden_guy wrote:

Good deal. Is there a dip stick/level check spot on the loader?

I found this sheet that says... SAE 10 for the oil, but not how much?

allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 9:07am
You may want to check the tank that is located in front of the brakes, behind the belt pulley as well.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 9:11am

Also if the WD 45 does not have a 4 bolt front end please be a little careful how full you fill the bucket with heavy material!!   Housemover

From the picture of the underside, that tractor appears to have the 4 bolt WFE.
Michael Crowe View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Crowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 9:49am
Its hard to tell from the picture but on a 445, the controls are longer and angle over very close to the left side of the steering wheel and there is a piece of strap metal bent at 90 degrees that bolts in between the shifter tower and the steering column support.

It looks like the strap metal is there but maybe they didn't want it that close to the steering wheel? Again hard to tell from the picture.

I have a 445 on one of my WD45's, and its an awesome loader setup, especially with factory power steering.
The 14th Annual Exclusive AC Swap Meet will be held in Boonville, MO, March 7-8, 2025. See the club website for details: http://www.moacclub.com/
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 9:53am
Thanks for the hot tips Brian. I just went out and bought a manual off of ebay, so hopefully I will have it next week. Looks like a lot of good, critical information.

And I did see a giant reservoir in front of the brakes on the right hand side., allisbred. Will check that, too. And good call on cleaning the system out, and the cap, Tim.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 11:32am
Originally posted by Michael Crowe Michael Crowe wrote:

Its hard to tell from the picture but on a 445, the controls are longer and angle over very close to the left side of the steering wheel and there is a piece of strap metal bent at 90 degrees that bolts in between the shifter tower and the steering column support.

It looks like the strap metal is there but maybe they didn't want it that close to the steering wheel? Again hard to tell from the picture.

I have a 445 on one of my WD45's, and its an awesome loader setup, especially with factory power steering.

Hmmm there was a weird steel bracket off to the right of the steering column... I should be back out there this weekend or next and will take some more pictures for y'all.
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 11:48am
When you pull the sump screen out there will be a spring also ( any ways on my there was) just be looking for it, my went flying.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 3:06pm
Thanks Kenny, found the spring you mentioned in the parts diagram -- my loader manual came in!

I'm ready to rock now.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 4:51pm
Took more pics today. Definitely a 4 bolt front end. Pulled the gas tank today so I could get it cleaned out. Also did some testing and found there is no spark (with an in line spark tester), so we'll have to solve that after we get the fuel side fixed up.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 5:17pm

You may want to check the tank that is located in front of the brakes, behind the belt pulley as well.

So is this tank different than the oil in the left tower? The cap on the tank didn't want to easily come off and I didn't want to force anything in case it was just a breather cap or something.
orange200 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orange200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 5:55pm
That steel bracket on the right side is to hold a canvas heat houser away from the hand clutch.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 9:23pm
I’m not sure where that tank is plumbed to from the pictures. I was thinking hydraulic remotes? If more than one on the tractor, someone added them. Looks like they put everything available for a 45 on this tractor.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 12:24am
Originally posted by orange200 orange200 wrote:

That steel bracket on the right side is to hold a canvas heat houser away from the hand clutch.

Oh dang that's neat. Explains the weird shape and location.

I’m not sure where that tank is plumbed to from the pictures. I was thinking hydraulic remotes? If more than one on the tractor, someone added them. Looks like they put everything available for a 45 on this tractor.

Hmmm there are dual remotes on this thing, I could see that. Would that mean the remotes would be separate from the RAMs? Guess I should track down where that all goes. I had assumed it was for the loader, but that doesn't make total sense... Hmmm...
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 6:43am
Sounds like you have could have 3 pumps, tractor remotes, loader, and maybe a set up for p/s. I do not think they would have (2) reservoirs for the same pump, gravity would drain the higher one down without a check valve.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 6:10pm
I am headed back out to work on it next weekend so I will take some more pics and trace some hydraulic hoses and see if I can figure out what is up!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic