This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B212 mower performance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B212 mower performance
    Posted: 29 May 2018 at 8:09am
My son finally got his 48" mower deck mounted on his B212. Mowed like junk!! Discovered the blades were turning the wrong way and flipped the twist on the belt and now mows much better! Still not as good as expected, leaves a line of cut grass in the middle of the deck area behind the tractor as you mow. Engine is at the highest RPM the throttle will allow and some grass is coming out of the chute. I double checked the blades (sharpened before installing) to make sure they are all turning the correct direction. Mowing grass that was mowed last week so maybe cutting 3/4 of an inch off so not overly tall grass we are trying to cut. Ideas for a better cut and having all the grass go out the chute?
Sponsored Links

Jim Hancock View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 12:58pm
Hi. 
My first thought as I was reading your description was blades have worn/sharpened off length.
This happens when the blade is dull and when sharpening, the bottom edge corner gets rounded off, thereby, shortening the blade cutting edge. 
Also, for discharge efficiency, find a "high lift" blade that has the back edge lip turned up vs. one that's laid down more. 
That back edge lip turned up is what will throw the grass out. 
A flatter contour will keep the grass in the deck longer and you end up mulching it to a degree. 
HTH and have a great week. 

Edited by Jim Hancock - 29 May 2018 at 12:59pm
How blessed we are by HIS GRACE!
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 5:16pm

Wish I had posted this yesterday as I ordered "normal" blades. It is cutting the grass fine just leaving some of the cut grass in the middle instead of blowing it all out of the discharge chute.
Jim Hancock View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 7:04pm
I see. 
Those "high lift" blades actually move more air and create more suction.
Hence, the clearing out of the deck while mowing. 
A thought, see if you can return them for the high lift design, if they can be had. 
I say that as some brands have them and one would think that they'd be available for everything. 
Nope. I tried that. 
How blessed we are by HIS GRACE!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 6:23am
yeah, high lift blades.....you NEED them when you put a bagger on ! Guess how I found out...yup, wife wanted the clippings for the veggie garden,which is OK, cept 'regular' blades wouldn't toss grass into bagging system. It also helps to cut grass mid afternoon NOT 8AM when the grass is wet...then it plugs up the works .....
Silly Cub Cadet here,with busted Kohler, has 'overlapping' blades so NO line of uncut grass in the middle BUT it has $130 special timing belt,special spindles,special blades and a whack of other special pieces to make it work.......
BTW, you should be able to get universal high lift blades.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
talntedmrgreen View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talntedmrgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 7:18am
I can't say I haev ever witnessed a strip of clippings left behind from a SImplicity deck.  Something is out of whack.  Sounds like the front of the deck is riding too low.  The front center blade tip should be 1/4" higher than the rear side blade tips for the cutting height you prefer.  The 48" deck should launch dry clippings 3'+.  
Patterson B1*B1/B1Forklift*B10*BigTen/B1Loader*B110*B208*B206*616*Homelite T16H/T8/T7/RM7E*Landlord/Loader/Trencher*Broadmoor717*Serf525*2110*7790*Legacy XL*Twin 20*Squire9*Squire6*JCPenny 494
acken View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 9:07am
Check the belt under deck covers that connects all three arbors. Also check that idler under there is able to freely pivot.
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by talntedmrgreen talntedmrgreen wrote:

I can't say I haev ever witnessed a strip of clippings left behind from a SImplicity deck.  Something is out of whack.  Sounds like the front of the deck is riding too low.  The front center blade tip should be 1/4" higher than the rear side blade tips for the cutting height you prefer.  The 48" deck should launch dry clippings 3'+.  

I thought (Simplicity might be different) that you want the front of the deck lower so you cut the grass once. If the back of the deck is lower you are cutting the grass twice, once is the first inch or so and then you would be cutting another 1/4" off with the back of the deck. 

It is throwing some of the clippings 3 feet of more out the side but leaving some (maybe 1/4 of them or less) in a row in the middle of the deck path. 

Ordered new blades that should be showing up any day now and will give that try.
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 5:35am

Yup - front is a bit higher.

Here is a Video showing the difference to be 3/8".Note at 2 min. 9 sec.

Gary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5x5bv4w-m4

only AC orange View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote only AC orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 8:12pm
What kind of shape is the under deck baffle in? If it's dented up, has rust holes in it, or otherwise not up to par, that could cause clippings not to exit mower!
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 8:16pm
He has mowed a few times with the new blades. Much improved but still leaves some cut grass in the middle.

The underside of the deck had some surface rust that may affect performance. After mowing season is done this year I will have him clean up the underside and we will double check the front to back measurement.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 9:51pm
Is the baffle still in the middle under there
talntedmrgreen View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talntedmrgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 8:39am
Originally posted by iowallis iowallis wrote:

I thought (Simplicity might be different) that you want the front of the deck lower so you cut the grass once. If the back of the deck is lower you are cutting the grass twice, once is the first inch or so and then you would be cutting another 1/4" off with the back of the deck. 

No, that is the opposite of the manual, and it will make a night and day difference.  The only difference between a B series deck and a Simplicity...is the paint.
Patterson B1*B1/B1Forklift*B10*BigTen/B1Loader*B110*B208*B206*616*Homelite T16H/T8/T7/RM7E*Landlord/Loader/Trencher*Broadmoor717*Serf525*2110*7790*Legacy XL*Twin 20*Squire9*Squire6*JCPenny 494
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic