This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Haul rate help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Haul rate help
    Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 12:17pm
I have a machine tool for sale and a fellow 450 miles away wants to buy it and asked if I could/would haul  it to him.  I have hauled things a coupe hours to get them sold but never that far and dont know how to price hauling that far. It weighs about 4,000 lbs. The machine price is cheap, no money in it for loose money hauling services. What would you guys say a good flat rate would be for 450 miles out loaded, 450 back unloaded with 3/4 pick up and 14,000 GVW trailer??  Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links

old farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 3:05pm
In our area a dollar a mile loaded and an dollar a mile back home is the cheapest you will find.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 3:13pm
If , and I mean IF, you agree on a price , get the CASH up front !! I know I'd be 'a tad upset' driving 900 friggin miles and being stiffed !
Also IF you do it, be SURE there's  a way to unload while YOU stay IN YOUR TRUCK.

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 9:04pm
Just say no Butch, Freightquote.com is the answer for quick and cheap, we use them all the time, I used to deal with independents and LTL carriers, now I go to one website, quote, schedule, get Bills of Lading and ship in one quick visit, scheduled a truck yesterday at 9:30 am, truck was at the shop at 10:20 am, 2600 lb.pallet was delivered to central Kentucky before noon today for $525.00
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 9:12pm
UShip is one that I used several years ago with success, to move two HD5G's from Upstate Mi, and NJ. It's a bidding/dispatch board
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
johnkc View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 11:00pm
FreightQuote is the way to go unless your wanting a road trip, then charge him 3.00 per loaded mile.
I support the development of hybrid automobiles and alternative fuels as I need DIESEL fuel for my ALLIS CHALMERS!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 2:25am
our IH dealer charges $1. a mile both ways
Dale-OH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 6:35am
I have been hiring "hotshot" trucks for $1.60-1.80 a loaded mile.  Hope this helps
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 6:48am
After reading the other posts and thinking a bit, there's NO way I'd haul it. Get the 'pros' to do it. One thing NOT considered is the insurance or problems,like an accident. Pros will have proper insurance. If you do it and 'something' happens your insurance company will deny your claim as you were hauling 'commercially'( for profit NOT personal use). Might be something to consider. Then there's the trailer tire goes flat problem....ka-ching... Weather could be a factor? Going cross state lines,  LOTS of chains and binders? You just don't strap down 2 tons of 'stuff' !
Not trying to be a wet blanket but hauling a 2 ton missle 450 miles might for a few bucks might not be the best thing...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 6:58am
Thanks Guys!!
After reading your posts I got to thinking what happens if I get in a wreck and it rolls down the road??? No machine, no money etc etc. Told the guy I wont haul it that far.
alan-nj View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alan-nj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 9:52am
Yes, good choice. I agree with Jay.  Once you get paid, you are now a commercial carrier and it opens up all kinds of cans of worms.
If ignorance is bliss, than happy days are here again.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 10:17am
Son just hired LTL to ship snow plow to NJ from here - 
Seems in time he got a quote th shipping a week later the cost went up $200 - so cost him $850 to ship plow - was suppose to be $550 - ended up with a loss on the unit as he had bid the plow low as was to be 2nd order in process -  So if no follow order a loss leader or called eating up the profit . 
 Shipping is in a flux it seems right now with rates changing daily - also steel prices are changing as import steel tarif is affecting costs and US Steel mfg is not yet online to supply 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic