This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thresherman's Special progress

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tricky Dickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thresherman's Special progress
    Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 4:32am
Well, the new valves are in and ground, the heads planed and new gaskets fitted, a new radiator core fitted, mag rewound, new repro kerosene manifold from Will Woodward fitted, new starting tank made (thanks for the photos Fred) and fitted to replace the one removed (probably by the same guy who smashed the heat box off the original kero manifold!!), the carb has been re-stripped and more gunge removed with toluene and brushes, wire probes etc. Time to start the 5 1/4" X 6 1/2" Thresherman's Special kerosene engine - it really takes some pulling over compression now, but after 2 with the choke closed, it fired on the next with the choke open and quickly settled down to run as sweet as a nut - beautiful!. After 5 minutes, I changed the fuel over to kerosene and it ran better on kero than on gas, with no coughing when the throttle was suddenly opened and no misfiring at all, so I need not have worried about the carb - it just needed better cleaning.  The oil pressure was still right up to the mark (35 psi) after an hours running on kero, so all is now well. The sound from the stovepipe when it takes up the load of moving off is pure music - I'm very, very pleased with the old girl and I can't wait to try those 563 cubic inches "in anger" as it were! I'm half way through painting the tractor and hope to finish it completely within the next month.
Tricky Dickie
Sponsored Links

Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 5:45am
Can't wait to see photosof it in action.
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
scott View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 6:12am
I'm agreein'... We need pictures! Sounds like a beauty.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 6:21am
Glad to hear it. A person with a crank start 563 soon learns HOW to start it or he doesnt run it much. Our low grade fuel A with the same manifold will barely run on gasoline once the manifold gets hot. We dont run staright kerosene but run a blend similar to the old distillate fuel.
TedBuiskerN.IL. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedBuiskerN.IL. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 8:42am
Don't let Butch kid you, he runs JP-4 jet fuel.  Smells exactly like Huey helicopter tail pipe exhaust.  LOL
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of high explosives.
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 9:05am
Cranking that big engine will keep you in shape, Richard.  Post some pics here when you can, also on the Stak.
Tricky Dickie View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tricky Dickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 7:46am
I will post some photos when I finish painting the tractor Phil. By the way Butch, I use a blend of 85% kero with 15% super unleaded to raise the octane number to a similar level as the old TVO fuel
Tricky Dickie
David Maddux View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Maddux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 7:55am
The first time I showed my "A", I forgot and left the key for electric start at home. I tried to hand crank it. At 175lbs. I decided to stand on the crank to turn it over and couldn't even get it to turn over that way. Luckily I had a pair of jumper cabels in the truck and was able to jump  the solenoid. It takes a lot more stuff to turn that thing over than I had.  That is why my 25-40 will have electric start.Dave.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 9:01am
Our fuel blending is not very precise and changes  with what we are doing with the tractor. More heavy fuel gives more grunt but goes in the oil pan under light loads. Our basic blend is 2/3 kerosene and 1/3 regular unleaded gasonline. When we are going to plow or pull a parge thresher we stiifen the kersene percentage and often add a splash of #2 diesel for show plowing in July. For parades (yuk) we add only enough kero so it will run kinda right and keep the raditaor covered, other wise it will fill the oil pan quickly. Kinda fun to fool with actualy and it had its own exhaust smell as Ted said.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 9:03am
Originally posted by David Maddux David Maddux wrote:

That is why my 25-40 will have electric start.Dave.
'lectric start is for wussies,,,  We have one of each one for me to start and one for the boys to start, LOL

Edited by Butch(OH) - 09 Jul 2010 at 9:04am
skipwelte View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipwelte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 12:40pm
I wouldnt say Dave is a wussie  Butch,  just aint nuff lead in the loafers ta twist her tail!!!  Ya know in my old age Im thinkin them thar self starts aint such a bad idea!!!!
Darrell G (MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrell G (MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 5:44pm
I am with Dave on this one, my next project 25-40 WILL have electric start or I won't be starting it.  My 20-35 starts on the second or third quarter turn of the crank so that I can still start.  I think Butch was being just a little hard on ole Dave callin him a wussie, I wonder how many of Butch's herd are crank start, I recall that would be about one, and that the boys probably start for him. lol
David Maddux View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Maddux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 5:58pm
I think Butch is saying that he is thinking like some of the older guys, he gets the electric start and the boys get the hand crank. Wait a minute, who am I calling old?  Dave.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by Darrell G (MN) Darrell G (MN) wrote:

I am with Dave on this one, my next project 25-40 WILL have electric start or I won't be starting it.  My 20-35 starts on the second or third quarter turn of the crank so that I can still start.  I think Butch was being just a little hard on ole Dave callin him a wussie, I wonder how many of Butch's herd are crank start, I recall that would be about one, and that the boys probably start for him. lol
That's because you only get to see the rusty stuff when you are here cause i dont want you fingering and slobbering on the hi-end equipment. We gots three crank start tractors but only two crank starters, Bill and Alen, LOL/
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tricky Dickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2010 at 2:24am
I don't have the option of fitting electric starting to my 25-40 because there is no provision for a starter in the bell housing. Guess that I'll have to keep pulling on that crank! Hey Butch, don't add diesel to your fuel mix! - it will only reduce the octane number of the mix and make the crankcase dilution worse. Keep the diesel for diesel engines!!
Tricky Dickie
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2010 at 6:32am
You guys have GOT to put some pictures on here! It'd be great to see what/how you are doing as well as reading about your progress. I know we have seen pictures of Dave's project, but that was a while ago.......
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Darrell G (MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrell G (MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2010 at 7:31am
I have everything you need to make that 25-40 electric start, if interested call, 507-326-5158
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tricky Dickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2010 at 11:36am
Thanks Darrell. I might give you a call about that

Tricky Dickie
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic