This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Build a 180 for pulling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Build a 180 for pulling
    Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 8:12pm
Starting to build a 180 for pulling.  What can you do to gear it up and can you put a scs box in to replace the power director.  Going to run 20.8 - 38 on it and need to be around a 22 mph road gear at 3000 rpm.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 7:13am
I don't have my speed chart with me at work, but regular road gear can't be too far from that speed. You sound very confident that you have enough engine and clutch to be able to run that cog. What weight ??   5000?....6000?.....7000?? 
waterboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote waterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 12:51pm
6500# and 7000# for the class weight and for the power plant will be a 380 cubic inch, P pump with a 2.33 charger.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 1:30pm
Oh dang it Prolly can be done,,, putting a Crower clutch in it?
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 3:40pm
You are almost right on with straight drive - spline coupler - eliminate the PD clutch; we ran a set up like that in the 70's - Harrison double clutch, P pump AND Twin chargers.... along with the melted pistons, bent rods, etc... before we made the parts stand up - and it became evident that the dollar$ nece$$ary to compete with nearly 500CI power plants exceeded our budget... of course there were not many 'rules' back then...
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 5:47pm
Just seen the 3000 rpm limit, yikes! 301,s run great at 4500 rpm
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 9:50pm
Hmmmm, oh, well would not spend any on increased gearing just yet...
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 7:10am
7th gear will be 22.3 MPH @ 3000 RPM.      8th gear will be 27.8 @ 3000 RPM both with 20.8 rear tires at 72.4 inch diameter.
KevinON View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 11:11am
Doesn't MACK build the mechanical two speed set up?
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 12:12pm
so what would be the best guess minimum hp needed to turn them 27mph ... we had twin chargers /intercooler and couldn't turn 20.8s on some tracks after the PD was removed in 8th..... at 7000#   like I said - that's when we quit...
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by KevinON KevinON wrote:

Doesn't MACK build the mechanical two speed set up?

Mack had built some overdrive gear boxes that went where the power directer was, to be able to speed up the input of the trans. Basically like a pro-fab gear box, I think it even used their gears. You select the gear, no shift on the go.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Acllss puller View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acllss puller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 9:08pm
Sorry the 301 isn't going to run 22 mph with a 2.33 at 3000 rpm even at 380 cubes ! Not unless you pull a super lite sled . 600 hp at best with best if best parts , . I ran an h1e holset (2.37) at 4200 rpm and couldn't run that big and I had an intercooler too ! At 5700-6700-7700 lbs .
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 5:34am
I'd think about trying an 18.4 X 34 tire to begin with and get the tractor to run 7th gear that way. You'll not want a lot of lug height on the tires and I also realize there can be quite a difference in track dirt, but generally modern sleds let you run fast and less bar is desired at the end to keep the engine alive.
waterboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 7:31am
Class tire size is 18.4 x 38.  Planning on running a 5.9 cummins  built to 380 cube.  I know it can be done there is one running in this class already.  
Some tell me that you need d17 differential if so off of what series. 
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 3:59pm
A couple days ago, you were going to run 20.8 X 38's and now you are at 18.4 X 38...???  Running an 18.4 X 34 shouldn't be an issue because it is smaller than the maximum size allowed. The only D-17 differential part that I'd use would be the side gear thrust washers. You still need to needle the spider gear pin.  So, the one guy running a 380 Cummins is the leader of the pack right now ??  And it's in a 180/185 chassis ??   I've heard of an AC running a Cummins and I also hear it runs down the track and pukes most of the time....never really spins it out ?? Is this that one ??
waterboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 10:33am
Sorry for the confusion on tire size I had not look at the rules my self just going off of what i was told.  The reason why I have was wanting to run that mph is the current point champ for 3 years runs that fast down the track on 18.4 - 38.  The class rule is 380 cu 2.33 inlet with a .25 MAP groove and no suspended slug charger rules at 3000 rpm 6500 lbs.   
waterboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 10:39am
   Can you bolt the power director and still be able to use high and low.  Does not need to be able to shift on the go just shift able to run 7th or 8th gear.  
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 10:46am
I can build you a Power Director eliminator that still gives you 7th and 8th, just not on-the-go. What's your foot clutch going to be ??
waterboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 10:57am
Planning on getting the clutch from Kenny's. 
rowcropmafia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowcropmafia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 4:38pm
Are you from Illinois? Sounds just like the rules you run here. I'm assuming the tractor Dr. Allis says runs down the track and pukes is mine. While 8th gear can be a little tough to handle at times depending on conditions I have plenty of videos of me burning it in at the end of the track as well. It can be tough balance the fine line of making power and keeping a charger lit with that little motor, few rpm and hot air. Gear ratio is very important
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic