This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

16.9 tires and chains on WD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BearcatnorthMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 16.9 tires and chains on WD
    Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 6:32pm
I appreciate the tips from previous guys on whether I should put 14.9 or 16.9 tires on my WD.  Well the deal on the 14.9 tires may not pan out.  I got 2 16.9 tires from a good friend that don't have a lot of tread left but I don't plow or anything like that with my WD..    I move a little snow, bring bales to my horses, and some mowing in the pastures.   I think they will look pretty cool on the WD!!!   Well now if I upgrade from my 12.4 X 28's I will need new chains too.  The 16.9 tires are in good shape as far as not much weather checking so if I can get a good deal on chains I might use them.  SO I am in the market for some chains for 16.9 X 28 tires...   I see new DUO chains for $470 at Gemplers and $300.13 at North State or something like that (out of North Carolina)...  Lot of money....  What do you think and does someone have some good used ones for sale.   Also does anyone need 2 12.4 X 28 tires?  I have the chains for them also.  They are big links that are twisted.   Great traction in deep snow.  Appreciate any advice...  Thanks   Barry
Sponsored Links

BearcatnorthMN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BearcatnorthMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 8:08pm
I guess another thing I have wondered....  Is there a reason that I should not put 16.9 tires on my WD?  Can a WD handle tires that big and not cause a problem down the line?
Knute View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 8:48pm
Do you plan to change the rims also? 16.9 may be a little wide for your WD rims.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BearcatnorthMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 9:18pm
I wondered about that.  I was hoping to just use my original rims.  Is that going to be a problem? 
jrjuday View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrjuday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 11:00pm
I think the recommended size for 16.9 is 14 X 28. D-17 rims would work.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BearcatnorthMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 11:05pm
So the rims that I have are too narrow for the 16.9's?
cwhit View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwhit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2010 at 7:23am
We have a set of 16.9 s on 13" rims on our  WD. You have to watch how close they run next to the fenders with the wheels slid in but other than that they are OK.
BobHnwO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobHnwO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2010 at 9:01am
Should be OK for doing lite work.
Why do today what you can put off til tomorrow.
MBolton View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2010 at 9:30am
I'd be interested in your chains but don't think the 12.4s will come over my 13.9s. If any one has a good set of the large twisted link chains in 13.8 X 28 size, I'm interested!
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BearcatnorthMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2010 at 3:48pm
I just measured my rims.  They are 12" at the most.  May only be 11.5".  Will the 16.9's fit on these? 
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BearcatnorthMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2010 at 8:03pm

I may only have 11" rims.  I suppose they are too narrow for the 16.9 tires.  Will 11" rims work for 14.9's???

kev/ont View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kev/ont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 11:41am
16.9's go on the 11" rims fine. I had mine set up like that for 18 years until i restored it. They look really fat on there but work good.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BearcatnorthMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 8:40pm
Hey thanks for all of the info you guys.  It is a big help....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic