This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engines is my real hobby

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engines is my real hobby
    Posted: 03 Jul 2010 at 8:58pm
I confess to being more of a motorhead than a tractor buff. Once I get the engines right in my tractors the rest of the restoration  work is,,well neccissary. Last fall I was searching for a generator head to run with a tractor for power outages and stumbled upon the  Lister CS  desels and the Indian made clones known in the hobby as Listeroids. They are without a doubt the coolest sounding engine ever built. Over in England they abound for cheap but here they are both rare and expensive so I bought a 'roid. You have to take the 'roids down and build them back up as the Indians assembly work is pretty sorry. Once done you have a pretty solid engine for not much outlay. This one is 6HP at 650 RPM direct injected and will run on about anything flamable and liquid and produce close to 3KW on a pint of fuel an hr.  Sorry to say that our friends of the environment hve made importation illegal but there are quite a few for sale.

Just getting it back together, new coat of paint inside and out

Edited by Butch(OH) - 03 Jul 2010 at 9:03pm
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2010 at 9:09pm
How big is that unit and what is the weight. Looks like large monster for 6 HP
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2010 at 9:23pm
It weighs over 700 lbs and to scale it those flywheels are 24" OD. About 88 Cubic inches. It takes a lot of torque to make 6HP at 650 RPM.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 5:38pm
That would be a great line shaft driver for my South Bend and I'm sure a few other machines at the same time. Our club has a 20HP Oil Field engine. I don't know who made it but the last time they started it they used an M Farmal and a belt.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 7:38pm
3kw is a lot of power for a pint of fuel.. you going to run it on diesel, veggie oil or waste, or ??????
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 7:55pm
Steve, They wont quite pull 3KW in the 6HP version like mine and the usage is slightly over a pint, but not much. Sorry for the (slight) exageration. My engine is direct injected and that both is unusual and gives a bit better HP hours per gallon than the indirect versions.  The same basic engine is rated 8HP at 800 RPM and will pull 3KW nicely. I am not going to mess with veggie but waste oil is on the list of things to try. It's more of a toy than anything, something to keep my fingers busy for a spell. I sure wish I had found them before the ban when they were dirt cheap Id owned a garage full.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 8:17pm
Hey Butch, how 'bout we drop that in the front of a smart car and make a drag racer out of it? LMBOROTFL!
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by LouSWPA LouSWPA wrote:

Hey Butch, how 'bout we drop that in the front of a smart car and make a drag racer out of it? LMBOROTFL!
Thanks Lou, everytime I see one of those my blood boils, LOL When I am forced to own such trash I  am afraid that I will learn to like walking.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by Butch(OH) Butch(OH) wrote:

Thanks Lou, everytime I see one of those my blood boils, LOL When I am forced to own such trash I  am afraid that I will learn to like walking.
Every time I see one parked, I have an almost irresistible urge to tip it over, sorta like cow tipping!
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 8:51pm

Originally posted by Butch(OH) Butch(OH) wrote:

Every time I see one parked, I have an almost irresistible urge to tip it over, sorta like cow tipping!
If I was only 35 years younger Id meet ya for a beer or two or three and we'd go find one!!
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 9:02pm
Hey common buddy, I'm 60, old enough to know better, but......I don't know if I could get it up on its lid, but i betcha' I could get 'er on it's side! LOL
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 9:34pm
Hey fellas, i'm still fairly young. I bet the three of us could turn it around backwards and then flip it on its' lid! Lemme put some more ice in the cooler, i'll pick ya'll up. LOL!

Seriously Butch, if you could figure out how to get a video of one of those engines running on here, i'd love to hear it. Looks too cool. Direct injected is nice. How does the pump and such work?
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 9:37pm
Sooo, Butch, I just went back to look over the picture again. You wouldn't be in the market for a used chainsaw would you? LOL! Do you work on those for the public, or do you just REALLY  like to be prepared?
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 6:50am
Here is a link to a Video or punch in "listeroid" on U Tube. I will pre-warn you that if you have a motorhead heart you will need $1500 or so to go buy one after you watch a few videos. Injection equipment is Bosch and the pump runs on a cam lobe. 

Edited by Butch(OH) - 08 Jul 2010 at 6:51am
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 6:55am
Originally posted by DREAM DREAM wrote:

Sooo, Butch, I just went back to look over the picture again. You wouldn't be in the market for a used chainsaw would you? LOL! Do you work on those for the public, or do you just REALLY  like to be prepared?
There are 15 saws on that shelf, all belong to me or my 2 sons. We purchased maybe 8 of them, the rest just showed up while we are gone in non running condition. We cut close to 2o cords a year for our own use and many donations to needy. We aint very smart I guess, a pleasant day off work is a fall afternoon in the woods cutting firewood.
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 9:22pm
Butch, I completely understand about the wood cutting. My grandad never had anything but wood heat. We just put gas in for my grandmother this past winter. Not because she can't still tend the heater, but because we were worried the chimney would catch fire. It's pretty old. My dad still heats solely with wood. He cuts almost every day in the fall and winter. Still has wood stacked out on the back 40, yet to be hauled in.
I always thought the only thing to do on the weekends during cool weather was cut wood and quail hunt. There aren't many birds left around here, so now it's just cutting wood. Been doing that for nearly 40 years now.
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 9:30pm
Oh yeah, I just watched the video! I think i'm going to record that and put it on loop. Then i'll let it play next to the bed. That is an awesome sound. Perfectly rythmic. Calms me down. My C at low idle sounds a little like that. The rythm, I mean. My grandad used to ride me on his C to put me to sleep. Idled it down real low. Still works for me.
firebrick43 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firebrick43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 11:46am
I have a listeroid CS.  Wonderful engine, but a tinkers engine, as the indians quality is not the best.  I think I have my straitened out finally.  Fingers crossed.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic