This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forklift hoist won't go down

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forklift hoist won't go down
    Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 7:03pm
My AC forklift had not been run for a couple months but started right up on this 60 degree day.  I picked up a 200 lb load off my truck and turned around to set it down and the forks would not go down.  The mast tilts forward and back just fine and the hoist goes up just fine.  What in the world would cause it to not go down.  I'm pretty sure the linkage is ok as it seems to work the same and the lift goes up. TIA

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Sponsored Links

dustydoo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 8:24pm
linkage would be my first guess ! Possibly just a retainer ?
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 10:39pm
Guess I'll have to dig into it a bit.  Thanks!

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 5:20am
Sometimes the bearings at the bottom get worn on the sides, and hang up in the track.  they look kinda like plunger bearings on a baler...
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 6:09am
If you can CAREFULLY !!!! crack the cylinder/hose connection at the cylinder to let some oil out AND it drops ( be careful !!) then it's 'hydraulic' and not 'mechanical' issue
Now I'm thinking it'd be a LOT safer to crack the connection AT the control valve. Just follow the hose to the proper fitting. It should be a swivel type,hopefully.

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Lee Bradley View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee Bradley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 12:28pm
...but if the hose has collapsed internally, releasing it at the valve wont work. Put the load back over the truck if you release the pressure at the cylinder.  
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 8:48pm
Thanks for the advice everyone.  I haven't messed with it yet but will first look at the linkage then try cracking the line.  Since it goes up fine, I'm leaning toward a linkage or internal valve problem.  I loaned my 621 to a friend to load some small buildings on a trailer.  Once I have it home I can take pressure off the lift cylinder.  Might snow tomorrow, really need it but don't want to work out in it.  Plenty to do in the shop or house...

Edited by JohnCO - 10 Jan 2018 at 8:50pm
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 1:36am
I finally got around to working on the forklift late this afternoon.  Took the cover off the valve and loosened up the line to the cylinder, oil came out but not with pressure.  Used the 621 forklift to almost support the forks on the little forklift, maybe an inch below.  Loosened the line at the cylinder then took it off, oil came out but not under pressure.  Removed the elbow to the cylinder, same, oil but just gravity flow.  Put it back together.  Used the 621 to load about 500 lb of steel onto the other forks after spraying everything that moves and the tracks with WD40.  It worked!  Lowered it to the ground but of course the battery was weak and wouldn't start, hoped to run it back up and see if it came down with the weight on it.  Getting dark anyway.  Put the charger on it.  Got to think it was just not enough weight on dry grease on the tracks.  Will try tomorrow

Edited by JohnCO - 14 Jan 2018 at 1:38am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 5:59am
glad to hear you've made progress ! My forklift will gravity drop overnight it's so loose. You should spray Rustcheck,comes in red or green cans.One's thick,other thin..use the thin one and coat the mast rollers and stuff. Aany spray lubricant will work cause WD40 is a Water Displacement chemical,has ZERO lubrication in it.
Jay

Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 3:02pm
" Aany spray lubricant will work cause WD40 is a Water Displacement chemical,has ZERO lubrication in it.
Jay

It was banned in sailplane maintenance because it washes out any lube that was in the bearing
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 7:22pm
You've got to remember that even though it rains and snows out here in Colorado, rust is not much of a problem except for what the dummies at the Hiway department dumps on the roads.  I think the problem was the dry, hard grease on the channels.  Started it up today and ran the lift up and down a couple times then dropped off the steel weights, the forks still go up and down so I guess that problem is solved for a while at least.  Thanks again for the knowledge transfer!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 7:47pm
I'm glad it's running right again ! we got the same idiots up here, salt the roads like crazy. My black pickup is WHITE...sigh.. If you don't 'oilspray' your rides EVERY 2 years, they will last maybe 5 or 6....the SAME idiots can't understand WHY the concrete bridges need serious repairs every 10 years.... meanwhile it took them a week to destroy a 100 year old concrete dam..

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic