This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D-17 Overheating

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neal (scMN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D-17 Overheating
    Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 10:20am
My D-17 has been running great this spring. I use it in my RV lot to move campers around, so it never runs very long or very hard. Yesterday I needed to do so mowing with my 7 foot finishing mower. After about 20 minutes it started to blow anti-freeze out the radiator cap. I shut it down and let it cool a little and then restarted and poured in water. The temperature didn't go down. I am thinking the water pump is bad. Any other ideas?
Sponsored Links

Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 11:00am
Thermostat stuck?
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 11:22am
If it hasn't had a new thermostat in years, I'd be inclined to replace it. Make sure the fan belt is tight. If it doesn't fit the pulley grooves well, replace it. Worn pullies can also be a problem. You don't have a radiator plugged with chaff, weeds, etc do you?
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Neal (scMN) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neal (scMN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 12:19pm
Can I run it without a thormostat to see it that is the problem? I also talked to someone who said they don't make a proper replacement thermostat for this. I have the engine with a 1" hose coming off the housing besides the big radiator hose. I was told the new thermostat will not be made for that additional by-pass. It can be modified to work though.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 2:12pm
Having a bypass hose is good. I see no reason the replacement thermostat wouldn't work. The replacement thermostat is a common 180 degree thermostat that fits small block Chevy and Ford with a "pedestal" and a thick rubber washer to hold it in place. The bypass is what keeps the engine's temp even throughout. Without the bypass, the engine's temp would spike up and down.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 10:08pm
I think you can run it temporarily withot a thermostat to see if that is the problem.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
Neal (scMN) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neal (scMN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 10:11pm
I took the thermostat out and mowed for over an hour and the temp never got higher than 160. I think I found the problem and I have a new thermostat that should in tomorrow. Thanks everyone for your help.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 10:17pm
You'll see what I mean when you get your new one. It's interesting to note that the same thermostat is listed to fit pretty much all of the older A-C and Oliver tractors. I guess when I think about it, the same thermostat will fit in SB & BB Chevy, Ford, and Dodge so maybe that's not all that unusual.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic