This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD45 front weight bracket options

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD45 front weight bracket options
    Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 4:14pm

How can I make a good front weight bracket simply and cheaply? Pictures welcome. Can I use the bolt holes that hold the front end on and just replace the bolts with longer ones?

All I need is a weight bracket that will hold up to 400 extra pounds when needed. I will keep the weights off when not needed to make it steer easier.

Reason for this is the front always seems to be to light when I use the 3pt bushog or the boom pole. Thanks.
Sponsored Links

Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 6:10pm
Welcome to the Forum! I'm pretty sure that you can make up a bracket that would use the existing bolt holes....at least I can't think of a good reason at the moment. There are others on here who will say "no" if I am wrong!
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Carl(NWWI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 6:38pm
20" long, 3/8" flatbar. 19" 3"x 3" 3/8" angle. holds 400 lbs all year long.

JPG AUSTRALIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPG AUSTRALIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 6:48pm
That is one nice looking wd Carl! Iam impressed.

Fidel513 mo. View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fidel513 mo. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 8:23pm
when did wds have a e combine engine?
NCAllisnut View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCAllisnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 8:34pm
Rare factory option????

79fordblake View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 8:40pm
Thanks for the help everyone. Carl, I guess the width of the flat bar is 3" also?

The tractor is my Grandap's, he passed away in 2001. He used the tractor to work on the family farm during the 60,70,80's. I still use it to do various things around the farm. It was painted with spray cans several years ago, still looks pretty dang good for an old work tractor. I may retire it within the next year or so and get it all prettied up. I just gave it a good cleaning today, I'll get you guys a picture tomorow.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 10:12pm

thank you everyone, it took many dollars and many hours to get it to look that good, it sure was fun.. I've been told only a few with gleaners E's exsist, its interesting how they came with them though, the combine came out after the WD was retired..haha. Yes, it is 3" flatbar.

Carl
Clay in MI View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay in MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 11:57pm
I made one that mounts the same as Carl's from 3/8" X 4 flatbar about 4' long.  Heated and bent to fit (I'm a better bender than welder!).  It carries 240lbs of suitcase weights for snowblowing and spring plowing.  Come to think of it I never took them off this year.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 12:04pm
Here is a pic of the tractor I will be making the bracket for.
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 12:29pm
That is one good looking tractor! May have been a rattle can paint job, but it came out nice.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 12:53pm
Thanks. Its a 1957. I don't know if its the original decals or not, I just know they were old when it was painted with rattle cans about 9yrs ago. The decals were taped up and painted around them. 

Hope nobody on here is offended by the Deere in the picture, lol. Its my 1944 A. My dad and I restored it 10yrs ago. I am now 20yrs old and I love old trucks and tractors. In my opinion I have the best of both worlds by having John Deeres and Allis-Chalmers, the two best names in farming history.

Edited by 79fordblake - 02 Jul 2010 at 1:07pm
Fidel513 mo. View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fidel513 mo. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 1:10pm
it looks great, i think it has older 3 bolt front end. ac started putting 4 bolts fronts in about 1955 i was told. wish i knew how to post pic. i just finshed wy wd 45. took about 2 years it was a total tear down.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Fidel513 mo. Fidel513 mo. wrote:

it looks great, i think it has older 3 bolt front end. ac started putting 4 bolts fronts in about 1955 i was told. wish i knew how to post pic. i just finshed wy wd 45. took about 2 years it was a total tear down.
Grandpa took the factory narrow front off long ago b/c the farm is very hilly so he wanted the wide front end. The wide front end came off of my Great Grandpa's Allis-Chalmers, I don't know what year it was. It was used for parts after the engine blew way back before I was born, lol.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 2:45pm
looks great for rattle can. nice looing tractor you got.
Carl
Jeff(WD45-SATX-TN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(WD45-SATX-TN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 2:51pm
Dont think you need much prettying up there. That old girl looks good. Right for weekend drives. Nice looking WD45.
1954 WD45 NF "Iron Tater"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 10:48pm
Thanks everybody. Sorry for getting off topic but since this is my first post I figured it could be my meet and greet post as well.
I take the tractor on rides sometimes, will probably be used this weekend to haul people around on my Grandpa's David Bradley grain wagon. This tractor is still a hard worker, still used to pull a bushog, plow, disk, pond scoop, boom pole and sometime use the Allis-Chalmers planter behind it to plant sweet corn.

Carl, or anybody else that knows, how much will that metal run me for the weight bracket? Thanks.
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 10:50pm
Here is one of my weight brackets on WD45 doing some plowing.
Don

Edited by Don(MO) - 02 Jul 2010 at 10:51pm
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2010 at 8:55am
i cant tell ya off the top of my head, but i think about 50 bucks, give or take a few.

Carl
Brian Ahart View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Ahart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2010 at 8:56am

Here is a stack weight bracket that caught my eye at Dale's show in 2007:

A-C Weight ID reference and other goodies at brianahart.net
Kip-Utah View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kip-Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2010 at 9:01am

We have a pretty good "red neck" front weight bracket on one of our WCs, that consists of a shortened weight lifting bar laid on top of the pedestal bolted down with a couple of pieces of flat stock using the holes that are tapped in the top of the frame. We just use 50lb. iron barbell weights & tighten the weigh retaining nuts slightly with a pipe wrench so they dont vibrate loose. This probably would not work on a wide front tractor, but works great on our narrow one! Kip 

HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!
Allis Fields View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis Fields Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2010 at 2:38pm
 I had Philee Brown build me one like his. He goes by D17brown on here.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic