This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Covering combines

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillinAlberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Covering combines
    Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 9:27am
With no shed available my G combines have to sit outside.
Has anyone tarped their machines and what did you use?
Sponsored Links

plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 9:46am
here's my experience:
The only time I tarped the M3 was when I couldn't unload the hopper before rain or snow came in. Even then it was very difficult. And then you have to get it tied down well enough to keep the wind from flapping the crap out of it or it will be destroyed in short order. I have a medium priced tarp from Menard's over a stack of hay on a rack and it only lasted a couple months. 
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 10:08am
Tarps are not very good.  They flap around in the wind and tear, and they can also trap moisture under them.  Keep in mind, they are NOT completely water proof either.  I am not a big fan of them if you can tell.
The best thing is to find a structure to park your combine in.  It will deteriorate rapidly when left outside year round in the elements.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 10:33am
My dad used to say if you bought a new piece of equipment you would pay for a shed if you built one or not.
Randy MN View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 11:54am
I agree that a shed or lean-to would be best. I use some heavy duty tarps to cover some of my implements, but I always make sure to leave them up from the ground to get air to blow up and circulate. I have had good luck buying from "tarps direct" on-line. I get the 8 oz super heavy duty brown tarps. I looked up a 20x20 that sells for a little over $70 plus shipping. They are heavy enough they don't seem to shred up from the wind. 
34 WC #477, 38 B #1935, 1-116 on steel, #8 7ft dbl action disc, #9 5ft dbl action disc, 295 Chainsaw
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 2:32pm
With covering a combine you would have to support it good over the grain tank or it would turn into a swimming pool and with the corners and edges are hard on tarps.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 5:00pm
Park in a level place & face it to north.
Open both clean grain & return elevator panels.
After cleaning out unload swivel, place a 4"x4" wood block under unloading auger at it's transport saddle to prop end of auger upward slightly.
Remove inspection panel at unload auger swivel.
Vacuum out any excess grain &for dirt inside machine.
Place peanut butter bated mouse traps in cab & check, replenish bate everyday for 4-6 weeks.
Remove engine batteries & hook them onto trickle charger somewhere warm.
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 5:35pm
You'd be better off parking it on the tarp to keep the vegetation from growing up around it.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 5:52pm
I covered a WD45 with a canvas for several years during the winter.  I put a plastic coffee can on the muffler to avoid the pipe tearing thru.  I tied it from side to side thru the grommets like a shoelace under the engine.  I put cinder blocks on the tires and the front bolster.

I don't know where you can get canvas any more, or how big you would need, but that is what I would be looking for if you are real concerned and don't want to be out in the weather replacing a tarp every couple months!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
DocB68W View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocB68W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 6:12pm
We covered our TR-70 one winter with tarps we got from the lumber yard one year until our she'd was built. Never had any problems, we just made sure to tie them down well.
GM Guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 2:03am
remove the raddle cover, drop the header, clean out center of auger and feeder beater, open elevator boots, open trap door, blow and clean till there is no more grain left.

Perfectly clean they do not deteriorate very much.
Gleaner: the properly engineered and built combine.

If you need parts for your Gleaner, we are parting out A's through L2's, so we may be able to help.
BillinAlberta View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillinAlberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 12:15pm
Got a high capacity leaf blower and blasted both machines.Lots of crap!
They are clean and open everywhere so it's the best I can do this year.
Canvas shed 30x80 ordered for next year.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic