This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7020 high EGT follow-up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blustery Knoll Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7020 high EGT follow-up
    Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 4:26pm
I got the new manifold and gaskets installed. I screwed a pressure gauge in the threaded hole in the intake manifold. I get a max of 10 PSI at full load above 2000 RPM. Pretty much zero below that. I don't see any leaks between the turbo and the manifold, so it seems like boost is inadequate. I did put in brand new air filters too. Could I have a boost leak elsewhere, or do I have a bad turbo? Seems I recall boost should be over 20 psi. It doesn't smoke quite as bad now that there's no exhaust leaks, but still a lot. I haven't run it on any hard jobs to see where the EGT goes.

Edited by Blustery Knoll Farm - 15 Dec 2017 at 8:03pm
Sponsored Links

LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 5:02pm
If the fuel has been turned up a lot and the turbo can't handle it then you get a lot of black smoke, heat and power not all that great. Pull the exhaust at the turbo and see if you have a noticeable amount of end play, called thrust, in the shaft. Usually they'll use some oil and of course that makes the smoke that much blacker. If the turbo looks reasonably new then I would think incorrect turbo as a possibility. Also you need to check the part numbers of the turbo and see if they're compatible, that is, the individual pieces. On the exhaust port of the manifold if the turbo is too big, then it spins slower, thus lower boost pressure, more smoke less power, and in general a crappy running engine. From the way you describe it it's a wonder the engine didn't blow. Shows how good they really are. Hope this gives you a place to start and if it isn't here at least you've eliminated the turbo as the culprit.  Leon
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 9:15pm
About 12-14 is about right for a 7020. Needs put on Dino to be checked out. MACK
Blustery Knoll Farm View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blustery Knoll Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 2:28pm
I was just spreading manure with it today. Blows fairly black doing what I previously did with a 70 HP tractor.

At WOT, if I drag RPM down about 200 RPM with the brakes, it blows black almost like a super stock puller and sits at 10 PSI of boost.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 2:39pm
You have a PROBLEM. Either a boost leak, bad turbo, late pump timing, plugged air filter or a birds nest inside the pre-cleaner stack..........That tractor should see 15 or more psi and 10 sure as Sam Hill doesn't cut it.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 3:15pm
which style injectors does this have? If Bosch, which side is the return line on? Should be toward the valve cover. Many people put those in the wrong way since the return is easier to put on when turned wrong. That would explain the excess smoke and lack of power. With that kind of smoke it should run like a raped ape! and build 50# of boost lol!
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 7:42pm
Blustery, how do you know the BOOST ?? Do you have a gauge in the cab??
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blustery Knoll Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 8:07pm
FREEDGUY, I screwed an air  pressure gauge into the threaded hole on the side of the intake manifold. I can see it well enough from the cab, past my left knee. Ya know, like the temperature gauge on the Allis C that I have.

Dr. Allis, I replaced both air filters when I replaced the manifold. I also checked all of the air intake tubes for obstruction before the turbo. I didn't take the elbow off of the turbo to look at the impeller. On the intake side, the shaft has some play, but it didn't appear to have any marks where the turbine was making contact with the housing. What is the proper way to diagnose a bad turbo?

Ed, As for the injectors, they have the return line coming off of the top. I just noticed the picture in your profile. That's how much mine smokes whenever I open up the throttle.

Edited by Blustery Knoll Farm - 18 Dec 2017 at 8:13pm
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 8:14pm
Thumbs Up Was just curious,thanks and good luck, I hope it is a "simple" fix.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 9:11pm
Had a customer replace filters in a 7045 from a auto supply store. Under a good load it would blow black smoke and pull down. Found hose from air cleaner would suck to gather cutting air off to turbo. After market filters weren't cheaper after all.     MACK
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 9:26pm
Blustery, if your 7020 smokes like Ed's puller and your pump is stock, YOU HAVE AN ISSUE !!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blustery Knoll Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 8:38am
MACK, the filters were from the aftermarket supplier I got the manifold from. They are Baldwin Filters.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic