This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sloppy shifter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sloppy shifter
    Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 8:07am
Merry Christmas everyone!

As I go through my HD16DC item by item I am now on the shifter. My tractor has the 3 forward 2 reverse set up.

My shift lever is very sloppy. Back and forth movement very sloppy as well as moving into 1st second and third forward.

Is the sloppiness standard? If I want to check shifting forks and springs are they 2 different things in 2 different places?

i have a manual but wanted advise before opening something up with springs, balls and things that can either pop out or fall off if not careful. Lol

Thank you
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 8:59am
there is a cross just below the dust cover similar looking to a u joint where the shifter pivots.  the holes and pins are worn and sloppy.   on mine I pulled it out and welded things up and trimmed up to fit tighter.

pg 168 of 329 in parts book.   items 6,7,8,9,10.  remove bolts 9, 10 and pull shifter out  and you will see the wear.   the bolts are pins on the end and will be worn.  the bushing will be worn as well as in the shifter cavity.

the shifter will pull out without affecting shafts or rails as it it drops into the gates on the end of the shift rails.

very easy to remove iirc

link to parts book.  I know you have one but this is the one I used for reference of pg 168

Edited by CAL(KS) - 15 Dec 2017 at 9:05am
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 9:34am
items 7, 8 , 9, 10 look about the same as the parts that when worn create a sloppy shifter on the HD5 and HD6 - the cross sleve wears inside , the bolts that hold it wear on the tips and the cross pin wears as well as the holes it goes into - that pin is held in place by the end of the bolts indexing into relieved area in cross pin - holes in the yoke also wear larger allowing movement . 
 Might also check ball end for wear it may need building up.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 10:11am
Thank you Cal.

on my original parts book pages match up perfectly to the Min Par link. I see very well what you are saying now.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 10:13am
thank you Coke. Weather here in Michigan is lovely this week. 10 inches of snow, winds out of the NW at 20 Mph and 18 degrees. Love Lake Michigan.

Glad I don't have to go any deeper at least for now, then the shifter housing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic