This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snap coupler dirt scoop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam (WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snap coupler dirt scoop
    Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 10:33am
How good do they work? I want something to move mostly loose dirt and gravel and I think this may be the ticket. I appreciate anyones thoughts on them. It would be used with a straight shifter wd if that matters any.
Sponsored Links

dawntreader74 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawntreader74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 8:58pm
just as well use a scoop shovel' save gas;;
EPALLIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPALLIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 9:14pm
Sam:  I luv mine!  Use it all the time.  Haul a lot of firewood, mulch and rock.  Also very handy to haul tools, set up my blue bird houses in the spring etc.  It has a trip lever for dumping that you pull with a rope.  It can also be reversed and used as a mini scraper.   It is just so darn handy.  Hardly use the loader anymore.  Hope this helps!
EPALLIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPALLIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 9:17pm
Forgot to mention, mine is also mounted on a straight shifter WD with narrow front with factory front wheels weights and mounting bolts to always balance out the weight in the rear scoop. 
Sam (WI) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam (WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 10:47pm
Sounds like this might be the tool I need. I don't really plan on digging so I imagine it would be fine for moving loose material
AJ View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 10:49pm
Don Bradley had one for sale in Bates City, MO. He's on the forum.
Can't fix stupid
BillinAlberta View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillinAlberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 8:35pm
I've never seen one.Anyone with pictures?

Just Googled it and now I see what they are.
Handy looking.

Edited by BillinAlberta - 07 Dec 2017 at 8:37pm
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 9:52pm
I have one and used it to dig out about 2 feet of dirt on one side of my house and move it and spread it out on the other side . It is basically like having 1/2 of a bobcat bucket mounted on a tractor . Slow and clumsy but did a good job . I used mine both mounted frontwards and backwards . Seemed to work better going forward . Backwards the rear tire tread doesn't grip as well and the trip rope works better going forward . Mounted backwards you can back into tighter areas and it works well as a carry all for chainsaws and such .I eventually rented a nice bobcat and moved more dirt in 8 hours than I moved in 20 hours with the dirt scoop and tractor
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
littlemarv View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 9:55pm
I've seen those called tumblebugs before.
The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H
Tim (Cent.WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim (Cent.WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 7:52am
I have 2, have used them and they actually work pretty well.
BillinAlberta View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillinAlberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 8:53am
Like I said I've never seen an Allis but there are some cruder designs that were used for dirt moving during the horse drawn era.
   I've heard them called a Fresno. Go figure lol.
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 10:35pm

This is my tumblebug scraper. Meant to be pulled behind a tractor or small crawler. Makes my WD45 snort when it's full. Holds about a yard of dirt.

This is a Fresno scraper. First designed to be pulled by horses.
Before that there was the buck scraper. Looked the same as the dirt scoop, except it had handles on the back and it was drug on the ground. Sometimes referred to as a 'widow maker'.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 9:30am
Hey, I've got a tumble-bug scrapper like that and a couple of snap-coupler dirt scoops. I remember riding on the toolbox of the WD with Grandpa dragging the tumble-bug around quite a bit when I was a little guy. 
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 7:06pm
truckerfarmer,,,,,,,,,what is all that white chit in the background in your pictures?  Must be some older pics?

Dang that guy in/near Blair.....
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
sandman2234 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandman2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 7:34pm
I have a snap coupler one I have never used. I also have a 24 and 30 inch 3pt that I have used. When moving a lot of dirt with a front end loader, why not fill a scoop for more payload when carrying the dirt a ways. Scoop makes great ballasts. David from jax
A proud member of the Allis Express movement!
               Northeast Florida
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

truckerfarmer,,,,,,,,,what is all that white chit in the background in your pictures?  Must be some older pics?

Dang that guy in/near Blair.....

That's from about 3 yrs when I bought it. Don't use it much, but sure is a life saver when I need it. Can move a fair amount of dirt in a short period of time, once you get the hang of it.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic