This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers 716H worth?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockyinnm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers 716H worth?
    Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 10:54am
Hello from SW New Mexico-

I'm a newbie to tractors/GT--so go easy on me, and I do apologize for 1st post asking (what's this worth) 
We do live in a challenging area, lotta rough land unlike say the mid-west--also not a lot of GT in the area to pick from!
The one in the post is about 6hrs away!
I'am looking for something for weed control, the land is VERY bumpy-as the grass grows in (clumps) A 5" cut height would be ideal, I have in the past kept it at bay with a (riding mower, 4" cut) but about shook your teeth out, and very hard on the (front end, steering)

Before I found you guys I posted on another tractor forum, and they said this unit was WAY too expensive, I do have mechanical skill, but my eyesight is rough--and I'm a young mid 70's---so I kinda want something ready to WORK!

Your thoughts and comments are welcome-thanks,
Rocky in NM

Sponsored Links

rustydollar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 11:32am
The cast iron Kohler engine on that tractor probably has out lived 5 aluminium engines. ignition points easy access by removing a small cover held on with two screws.

Some engines of that vintage used a motor generator for a starting motor, if that tractor is a hydro static drive the units were made by Sundstrand, which from opinion are a very well built  hydro drive.

The differential as the larger Allis GT's was probably manufactured by Dana the housing made of cast iron. Other members could confirm.

The tractor your looking at also has a posi differential making it the perfect candidate for uneven ground.

With the assortment of implements included in the sale I think it's reasonably priced. If it runs as good as it looks you have a winner.

Edited by rustydollar - 28 Nov 2017 at 11:33am
Rockyinnm View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockyinnm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 12:02pm
#1--thanks for the reply, as I'm a green horn on GT--that said--
he said he was the second owner, it does have the hydro trans-said it was very forgiving.
Everything works good, ( lights, gauge, ect.) and was ready to work.

Do you/anyone have a guess what would be the (highest mowing height?) He guessed it (might) be 5"

Thanks, Rocky
Rockyinnm View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockyinnm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 5:23pm
Really would like to hear from any owners, past, present, that might make a guess of the mowing heighth--at TOP setting? 716H
Many thanks, Rocky

rustydollar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by Rockyinnm Rockyinnm wrote:

Really would like to hear from any owners, past, present, that might make a guess of the mowing heighth--at TOP setting? 716H
Many thanks, Rocky

The Allis 716H is part of the 700 series family, I found this information on another site.

Hope it helps, https://simpletractors.com/research/allis-chalmers/ac-700-series/late-700-series/introduction_late_700/

Page 6, the implements, 
https://simpletractors.com/research/allis-chalmers/ac-700-series/late-700-series/700_attachments/

Edited by rustydollar - 28 Nov 2017 at 7:05pm
TOMIA View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TOMIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 5:27am
Having owned a 712 2 912's and 3 918's, a long cutting height is not one of Allis's strong points. I found the higher you cut the shorter the life of the tractor to mower deck belt.
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 6:39am

For me $2500 is way - way overpriced.

For a working Allis Garden Tractor, should be able to get one for less than $1000.

Gary
talntedmrgreen View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talntedmrgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 8:32am
I agree with Gary...This machine is GROSSLY overpriced, unfortunately.  While you may have to pay a premium due to limited supply in your area, I could never justify even half of what the seller is asking.  

They are fantastic tractors, and depending on what work was done to this one when it was repainted, it could be in above average mechanical condition, or concealing excessive wear.  

Painted machines seem to most often fall into the hands of two types of owner...the owner who put more time and expense into bringing a tractor back to tip top shape than it is likely even worth, or, the owner who simply jazzed up a machine that would have otherwise looked too poor to sell easily.  
Patterson B1*B1/B1Forklift*B10*BigTen/B1Loader*B110*B208*B206*616*Homelite T16H/T8/T7/RM7E*Landlord/Loader/Trencher*Broadmoor717*Serf525*2110*7790*Legacy XL*Twin 20*Squire9*Squire6*JCPenny 494
Rockyinnm View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockyinnm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 8:49am
I would like to thank everyone who has replied--not only did you keep me/greenhorn from spending WAY to much--It appears to be the (wrong) type GT for the (rough cut heigth) that I need!
It is very bumpy, and the grass kinda grows in clumps, out here!

thanks again for the advice, Rocky
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic