This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Someone is getting a great R42

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Someone is getting a great R42
    Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 8:22pm
I was sitting at a stoplight in Troy, Illinois yesterday and was beyond amazed to see a rare Gleaner R42 combine on a tractor trailer making a left in front of me!! Rare because the once popular Gleaners are not so anymore. This was a early '90s model and looked like it was brand new. I almost felt the urge to get out of my truck and salute it as it went by. Anyone on here purchase it? Ryan
Sponsored Links

victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 9:13pm
If it's early enough to have a Duetz I give the new owner my sympathy. That motor was another huge nail in the Gleaner coffin.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
Ryan Renko View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 8:56pm
The combine looked like it was brand new and I envy its new owner. What is your personal issue with the air cooled motor as you seem to be in the minority when I search other forums. Several comments have said the motor is bulletproof. Ryan
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 9:28pm
We had a R52 with a Duetz no matter how well it was blown out it would blow out firing rings every other year. Even ate a few jugs in it. Uncle had a 100 06 tractor and was into the motor also same as a neighbor with a later model one. Also didn't like the lack of a block heater.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
BKarpel View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BKarpel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 11:49pm
I saw it going west by Triad High School. The truck was Barker Equipment had a 217 area code. Grandpa had a R 40. It was Deutz powered. He never had any problems and it started good when it got cold. I just didn't like walking down in the cab. We he retired we got a 1660 and traded for a 2388 this year.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic