This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D-17 IV Hyd. Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote housemover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D-17 IV Hyd. Problem
    Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 10:07am
   While discing yesterday with my D-17 IV my 3-point arms decided to come up a stay up!   The only way to get them down was to shut the tractor off.   Though I"d finish the field as it was a pull type Allis disc & remote cylinder was still working but after a hour or so I noticed a slight noise as if the  bypass valve was squealing slightly.   Wondering if it's the valve beings it seems to only be the lift arms but got to wandering if something could be wrong with the traction booster setting.   Where should those levers be when not using traction booster?    Valve body & controls looks to be the same as the 170, 180, 185, etc.  Any thoughts or experience out there?    Thanks
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 10:35am
Both levers (T. Boost and Position control) should be all the way FORWARD for disking.
polarbear View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polarbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 10:43am
you most likely have a o-ring in your levers where you lift the disk i had the same problem rebuilt the o-rings in that whole thing don't know if you got two are three levers but that fixed mine the problem was one of the o-ring was letting oil by and was makeing my lift arms raise
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 6:59pm
Check your traction booster linkage under the console.  There is probably a cam that has rusted up in the last 40 years.  If you see it pushing on the valve body, that is your problem - it should not touch the valve with the traction booster and position control levers forward all the way.  The easy way to free up the cam is to soak it with penetrating oil.  The BEST was to free it up is to take it out, drive out the rusted bushing that it rides on, clean the 2 items and put back together with plenty of anti seize.  You will be good for another 40 years after that.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
housemover View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote housemover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 12:28am
Thanks Guys,    After spending a couple hours with Ol Allis this afternoon I found the problem with the gummed up cam .  A can of chain & cable lube, a medium size crowfoot alinement  bar & 30 minutes of patient work solved the problem.   That's the reason I like the tractors with a little more age (or should I say experience) .    I seem to understand mechanical better than electrical servo controls.    Thanks Again!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic