This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

XT OVERHAUL

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: XT OVERHAUL
    Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 7:15pm
Can any member recommend an independent mechanic to do a major O/H on a 190 XT DIESEL in North Central Ind.(ELKHART/SOUTH BEND)? This would include top end,fuel system(injectors and pump) as well as the dry clutch(foot). The tractor had the crank/bearings done 200 hours ago due to the crank breaking in half pulling a 14 foot disk?? I could maybe understand it breaking pulling the 5/16 plow, but the disc?? Any names/numbers appreciated. All "IN-THE-KNOW" mechanics are long gone. Thanks 
Sponsored Links

DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 6:00am
The crank shouldn't break, regardless of what it's pulling. It may have been reground wrong. There are decent machine/rebuilding shops around, but sometimes you don't know if they're any good or not. If you look around you can find web sites that offer rebuilt 301 engines, but you have to know what you're buying.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 7:55am
Sounds like a classic example of someone who doesn't know how to correctly grind a HEAVY-DUTY diesel crankshaft. It's probably broken right in a filet radius that he ground out square with his grinders stone. Either that or there was a bearing burn-out before and he just ground the journal smooth, but the journals hardness was all gone after the burn-out.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 8:51am
The local shop here will not regrind a diesel crank. It's new or take it somewhere else.

I should say the repair shop won't install a reground crank on a diesel. New or nothing.

Edited by Lonn - 03 Oct 2017 at 8:52am
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 9:32am
The original post sounds to me like the crank broke, then a new crank and bearings put in 200 hours ago, not that it was done wrong 200 hours ago then broke because someone did it wrong.  That's the way I see it worded.  And now he wants the rest of it overhauled. 
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 6:28pm
Tbone, You are correct, it was the original crank that broke at 3563 hours(give-or-take 50 hours).When it went south, it was repaired by our local ALLIS dealer that the machine was purchased from for the cost of rearend rebuild that the previous (and original) refused to pay. 18 years later, the 'ole gal is showing signs of a thorough going through,white blow-by out of the tube and definite smoke from stack just sitting idling. So far no coolant in the oil or oil in coolant. Just want to get ahead of possible OMG scenario this coming spring. The tractor has 4200 hours now on a working tach(we have always kept it running except for 12 hours during our ownership). DR., any idea why an original crank with less than 3900 hours let go, and I do not recall where it broke,that was alot of years ago as we only farm 35 acres with it LOL!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 6:31pm
I meant the 3600 ish hours
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic