This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

712Shuttle Electrical Issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albow44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 712Shuttle Electrical Issues
    Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 4:06pm
So I FINALLY found a 1979 712 Shuttle just like my father had when I was a little kid. It ran and mowed great, until my toddler turned the key to on and killed the battery. I have since charged the battery and changed the plug, solenoid and breaker. It still won't start. Makes a whirring sound and that's it. My next thought would be the coil and condenser? Any help or insight would be appreciated. There is also an issue with the tranny, 3rd gear doesn't seem to want to move much. Especially up hill. Thanks!!

Here is a link to a video of the start up sound...

https://youtu.be/hlOhlMMprdQ
Sponsored Links

Sliferxc View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sliferxc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 7:57pm
Your starter is not engaging tap it lightly with a hammer and it should work    
rustydollar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by Sliferxc Sliferxc wrote:

Your starter is not engaging tap it lightly with a hammer and it should work    

Sliferxc could very well be correct, but to me it almost sounds like the bendix gear is not meshing with the ring gear, sometimes an engine will stop in one of those awkward positions where the starter gear wont mesh.

Op manually turn the flywheel a quarter turn then retry the starter.

Edited by rustydollar - 20 Aug 2017 at 9:08pm
Albow44 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albow44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 3:22pm
Thanks for the answers guys. I did have to manully move the starter to get it going again. Now, I'm not getting a spark. No voltage coming from the battery to the ignition cool. Changed the condenser and points. Still nothing and frustrating. Could the voltage regulator have gone bad? Or is a possible ground issue? Battery shows 12v and so does the solenoid.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Albow44 Albow44 wrote:

Thanks for the answers guys. I did have to manully move the starter to get it going again. Now, I'm not getting a spark. No voltage coming from the battery to the ignition cool. Changed the condenser and points. Still nothing and frustrating. Could the voltage regulator have gone bad? Or is a possible ground issue? Battery shows 12v and so does the solenoid.

Its possible you forgot to put a wire back onto the solenoid hot terminal, this wire feed the ignition switch.
Albow44 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albow44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 9:22pm
Nah, that wire is on there. I meant ignition Coil. No volts to the ignition coil. Stupid autocorrect.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 9:34pm

Nah, that wire is on there. I meant ignition Coil. No volts to the ignition coil. Stupid autocorrect.

Will the starter turn over from the key on the start position.
Albow44 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albow44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 9:44pm
Yes, the starter is no longer the issue and engine turns fine. There seems to be no voltage reaching the ignition coil on the points side of the motor.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 10:23pm

Yes, the starter is no longer the issue and engine turns fine. There seems to be no voltage reaching the ignition coil on the points side of the motor.

The wiring schematics are from the Simplicity equivalent machine.

After looking at the schematic I suspect your problem is either a bad ignition switch or a bad connection where the dash harness connects into the machine half of the harness.

After disconnecting the plug check for power on the black lead  with the key on run.

Edited by rustydollar - 22 Aug 2017 at 10:39pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 10:34pm
I have found over time the grease used to lubricate the ignition switch become hardened creating a film over the contacts. Over the years there could also be an accumulation of dust and other debris.

You can first try some contact cleaner, remove the ignition switch then spray in the cleaner via the keyhole then hold the switch upside down to allow the cleaner to drip out.

Albow44 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albow44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 10:53pm
Could be, I hope so. I'll pick one up tomorrow and let you know.
Thanks!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 11:15pm

Could be, I hope so. I'll pick one up tomorrow and let you know.
Thanks!

Before you do that, jumper a wire from the positive terminal of the battery the the positive side of the coil then see if the engine starts.

Albow44 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albow44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 11:19pm
Ok, not to sound like a newb or a smart ass, what's the safest way to do that? Should I be expecting it to start or not to start when the ignition is turned?

Edited by Albow44 - 22 Aug 2017 at 11:34pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 12:07am

Ok, not to sound like a newb or a smart ass, what's the safest way to do that? Should I be expecting it to start or not to start when the ignition is turned?

If the coil and points are good the engine will start.

I might add with the jumper wire in place you have bypassed your neutral safety switches and the seat pressure sensitive switch if your tractor was so equipped. Just make sure the transmission is in neutral and your good to go.

If the engine does start which it should with the jumper you have now narrowed the problem down to either a bad break in the  black wire coming from the ignition switch leading to the positive side of the coil or the switch itself is faulty.

If you have a meter or test light you can check for power by probing the plug attached to the ignition switch at the black wire.

Edited by rustydollar - 23 Aug 2017 at 12:23am
Albow44 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albow44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 10:49am
So the jumper wire didn't work. Points are brand new and set at .020 and the coil should be operational according to the voltmeter reading.
Still registering no volts at the coil + from battery.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 9:05pm

So the jumper wire didn't work. Points are brand new and set at .020 and the coil should be operational according to the voltmeter reading.
Still registering no volts at the coil + from battery.

Looking at the diagram above the contact points must be in  the closed position to complete the power circuit.

Did you  try starting the engine with the jumper wire connected.
Albow44 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albow44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 9:55pm
Yeah, the engine will try to turn over, but no spark at the points or plug.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 10:53pm

Yeah, the engine will try to turn over, but no spark at the points or plug.

Going back over your first post, your toddler left the key on with power to the coil. I suspect the primary winding in the coil burnt out.

Change the coil problem solved.
Albow44 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albow44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 11:17pm
Shouldn't there still be power going to the coil though? When I measure the wire from the battery to the + side of the coil, I don't get 12v as I should. I get nothing.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 11:28pm

Shouldn't there still be power going to the coil though? When I measure the wire from the battery to the + side of the coil, I don't get 12v as I should. I get nothing.

Any kid from the 50's and 60's could steal a car in less than five minutes using the jumper wire from battery to the coil.

If you connected a jumper wire to the battery that wire would be hot, connecting that wire to the positive side of the coil would energize the coil giving you ignition to run your engine.

Hot wire to coil, engine still not willing to run, your problem is between the coil and contact points. You installed new contacts so we'll eliminate those and assume the coil is bad.

Your toddler left the key on killing the battery, during those long hours with power to the coil the primary windings burnt out.

This is how a run an engine on the test bench.

Edited by rustydollar - 25 Aug 2017 at 11:39pm
Albow44 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albow44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 11:36pm
Oh yeah, I forgot about the jumper. So, there's a good chance it's the switch and the coil.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 11:44pm

Oh yeah, I forgot about the jumper. So, there's a good chance it's the switch and the coil.

Yea by using the jumper wire we're eliminating the key switch for the time being bypassing every safety switch etc. in your mower. We're using the process of elimination to source a problem.

Since the starter still works from the key switch you can use it to turn the engine over once the jumper wire has been installed.

I'm not so sure I feel comfortable giving advice anymore.

Edited by rustydollar - 25 Aug 2017 at 11:48pm
Albow44 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albow44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 1:29pm
It was the coil. Thanks.
Albow44 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albow44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 11:41am
Changed the coil as stated above and it worked, for one mowing. After that, wouldn't start again or even try to turn over. Replaced the coil again, the wiring harness and the ignition switch. Still the same thing. When I turn the key, nothing. Battery appears to be fully charged, reading 12 volts. I'm once again at a loss. Any advice is truly apppreciated.
Thanks
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 11:59am

Changed the coil as stated above and it worked, for one mowing. After that, wouldn't start again or even try to turn over. Replaced the coil again, the wiring harness and the ignition switch. Still the same thing. When I turn the key, nothing. Battery appears to be fully charged, reading 12 volts. I'm once again at a loss. Any advice is truly apppreciated.
Thanks

Have you tested the battery under load.

Albow44 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albow44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 4:45pm
Yeah, battery is good. I do see what appears to be a ground wire that attaches the same plate as the ampmeter, but doesn't seem to fit anywhere else. It's under the dash to the left of the ignition switch.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 7:31pm

Yeah, battery is good. I do see what appears to be a ground wire that attaches the same plate as the ampmeter, but doesn't seem to fit anywhere else. It's under the dash to the left of the ignition switch.

Why, because your volt meter says 13 volts.

I gave you the wiring diagram above, use it to diagnose your electrical issue.

Edited by rustydollar - 12 Sep 2017 at 7:34pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 10:46pm

What color is that loose wire. If its a ground wire as you say then there's two possibilities the power lift switch and the hour meter both have grounded wires under the instrument panel.

Its not uncommon for some deceitful person to disconnect the hour meter to keep the hours showing low for a latter sale.

The again maybe your tractor never shipped from the factory with an hour meter and that loose wire is surplus. The wiring harness's from the factory are made to accommodate all the factory options whether their installed or not.

From the starter solenoid there's a red wire leading to the ammeter, somewhere between the ammeter and solenoid there's a circuit breaker attached to that wire in-line..

Bad circuit breaker in the red wire you wont have power anywhere except the battery lug on the solenoid. Beyond that nothing.

Now that your familiar with jumper wires, male up another one long enough the temporarily replace the red wire connected to the starter solenoid to the ammeter. If the tractor responds with the temp jumper wire in place you'll know the circuit breaker has gone bad.

Edited by rustydollar - 13 Sep 2017 at 11:08pm
Albow44 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albow44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 1:53pm
Turns out it was a bad ignition switch from Amazon. Returned it and put on the replacement and it fires right up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic