This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

pto shaft questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pto shaft questions
    Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 9:04pm
I was working on the New Idea 290 haybine that I brought home tonite.  Instead of the short section of the pto shaft being adjustable, the long section of the shaft that goes back to the haybine is adjustable and is supposed to slide back and forth, supposed to.  This thing has sat outside for many years and the outer round pto gaurd that is over the entire length of the long pto shaft is steel and it is rusted tight so I can't get any adjustment out of it.  I tried heating the very middle where the two sections come together with a torch and I had a long strap to my truck pulling the shaft forward and nothing.  This guard piece is steel, and besides being rusted, the front part which is the smaller diameter is all dinged and bent up so even if I do get it loose, I will only get it in or out about 6" before it starts hitting all the bent areas.  I could cut the guard off of it, and then I'm sure the inside of the shaft will still be loose, but then I have no gaurd on it which isn't good.  Some of the newer pto shafts come with a plastic sleeve type gaurd that goes over it that won't rust and will always stay loose.  I was wondering if someone knows of a vendor that would sell these parts so I can cut the old one off and then dissassemble the pto shaft and put a new guard on it.   I am hoping to find and order one of these and also get a new sickle piece from the local AGCO dealer and hopefully do some test cutting with it this weekend, if all goes good which we know it doesn't.  If anyone else has some leads on anything, I would appreciate it. 
Sponsored Links

Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 11:24pm
Tractor Supply Company has some PTO guards,shafts and mics.parts.Have had some good luck there,after I found the 1 guy that works there that will actually go out of his way to help.If they don't have it he can usually find it and get it ordered.No one else there helps,they just say "we don't have that".Good Luck!
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
ChuckLuedtkeSEWI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 11:32pm

Thanks Pat.  We have one close to here as well.  I have to go to the AGCO dealer anyways so I will try to give them so business there first and try Tractor Supply otherwise.  After doing all of the searching for shields on the internet, it is unreal how many accidents I have found and read tonite.  Even if these old steel shields did slide apart like they should, they still spin around with the shaft and there is always the possiblity of hooking something on them.  I think the plastic upgrades with the chain to keep them stationary is a much safer choice but we always have to remember that no matter what, pto's are very dangerous and the only safe one is the one that's not moving. 

Edited by ChuckLuedtkeSEWI - 17 Jun 2010 at 11:33pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic