This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8550 alternator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8550 alternator
    Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 9:37pm
I assume my 8550 came from the factory with a brushless niehoff alternator, but had a delco on it when I got it last year. That alternator went out on me one Saturday afternoon while seeding last year. I got a Wilson replacement for it from a NAPA guy who was about to close for the weekend and shoved like a 65 amp alternator at me to get me out the door, saying that was all he had. That one already went out this year, and I replaced it with a 105 amp one. Son was out seeding the other night, and said the alt light was coming on again, so I told him to quit for the night, and I'd see what it does the next day. So the next day, I am on some flat ground, and so I was toodling along and didn't have it quite at full throttle, and not even realizing it wasn't quite full throttle, and the alt light started flickering on again. I shut the AC down, and that didn't help. Then I cracked the throttle wide open, which wasn't too much more, but then the light went out and stayed out, even with turning the AC back on. Now the original alternator pulley has been changed to each new alternator, and I am wondering if the pulley may be too big, and the alternator isn't spinning fast enough. When I got this last alternator, the pulley that came on it was probably half the size of the tractor original, but the guy I got the alternator from, said stick to the tractor original pulley, so we did. What would happen if I put that smaller pulley on? Is there such a thing as over speeding the alternator, or could it help, without hurting anything? If I am correct, the tach runs off the alternator, and that indicates to me that the alternator is running too slow, because full throttle only reads about 1900 RPM's on the tach, and the tach isn't always working, either. As far as stuff drawing juice, I have an electric lift pump on there for the fuel that is pretty hefty (don't know the exact draw of it}, there is an electric seed clutch on the air seeder, have a Case IH/trimble auto steer, and AC. And lots of lights, but only that one time when my son was running it after dark. There shouldn't be issues with this situation, should there? Any ideas? Thanks, Darrel
Sponsored Links

Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 9:44pm
I ordered a replacement Delco from shoup for my 7060..has the tach hookup and is like 105 amp IIRC.
I sure couldn't afford that neihoff,,, but I still have the old one,,,I know there's gold in it somewhere....

Edited by Michael V (NM) - 02 Jun 2017 at 11:19pm
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 2:40pm
BTT
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 4:13pm
Ill take a look at our tractors over the weekend. I know 1 is running the original neihoff and Ill see what the other is.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
LB0442 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LB0442 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 5:42pm
Here is a picture of a Delco CS130 alternator I put in place of a niehoff.  I used the original pulley.  I find them at the U Pull it junkyards for 25 to 30$, just look for one that looks new.  I usually pick up a few if I am there, good to have a spare.  I have replaced the Delco 10SI with this and it does read a little slow on engine RPM, about 125 RPM's.  When I replaced the niehoff the RPM's are right on.  It has a 4 terminal connector.  I use P for the tach, L for the alt light, and F to power the field.  Do not use the S terminal.

I do have to find a different slide for the top bolt depending on what the top bolt is clocked at on the replacement one.  I have used one from a mid 90's ford 460 and some from a mid 70's mopar.
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 9:35pm
They have tach calibration devices thet will take the alternator pulses and send a different ratio to the tach. The only problem is they cost about 100 bux, about twice what you'd pay for an alternator.
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 5:55pm
Would, could a Neinoff from an N5, 6 & 7 work on a 7000 and the 8550?

Edited by Unit3 - 03 Jun 2017 at 5:56pm
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 7:19am
Any 3-wire alternator can be wired to work. It's a matter of having the same frame if you want an easier install.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 8:49am
I guess my main concern is just wondering if it will be OK to put the small pulley on the alternator I now have on it, or if that will make the alternator spin too fast. I am pretty sure that wouldn't be a problem, but just thought I'd check. Darrel
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 8:51am
since one in a car can handle 6000 engine rpm I don't think you can hurt it.
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 8:54am
Doubtful that you would spin the alternator too fast. Consider that an automobile engine spins at twice the speed of a tractor engine. My only concern with too small a pulley is the possibility of belt slippage.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 11:08am
The fundamental rotor design of most alternators can take many thousand RPM. Often belted for nearly twice the crankshaft speed of an automotive engine typically red lined around 5000 RPM. I don't know about NASCAR alternators, but those engines typically run at 10,000 RPM at full track speed.

When I put an alternator on my 4020 I bought the smallest diameter pulley with the wide groove available in the parts catalog at the local automotive electric shop, probably not much over 2" diameter while the crankshaft pulley is about 7" outside diameter. Works fine, as a one wire alternator, it takes about 1500 crankshaft RPM to being charging then charges full current at 800 rpm engine idle. The 4020 gas engine working range to speed is 2250 RPM. The smaller pulley also allowed the fatter alternator to use the same length belt that would not have happened with the larger diameter generator pulley.

Gerald J.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic