This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lack of maintenance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bobkyllo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobkyllo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lack of maintenance
    Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 10:41pm
So I needed a new digger. A few years back I had bought a wil rich digger that was 33 foot wide. My big tractor couldn't pull that. And a few years back my big tractor certainly couldn't pull it. At that time I had a 70 horse white so I tore the wings off all together. Well now that I've got a 165 horse white I decided to trim down the wings and put them back on.

Long story short I've got it ready to go except for those pesky oil leaks with the hoses. Any who I was doing some finishing touches and I took it out for its maiden voyage yesterday. I noticed a walking tandem was loose so back to the yard I go. I tore it off and found that none of the bearings to have any grease. Good thing I have spare parts. Today I put the tandem back together and finished airing the tires up. I noticed one of the tires on the other tandem was loose. Closer inspection found the tandem wouldn't rock at all. Grrrrr. So I spent the afternoon tearing that apart. Only to find that rust was holding it together. It was so bad I had to cut the race off the axle. There was no way this had ever been serviced since the day it was sold new.

How can anyone neglect something like this. Plus to top it off the hub's have grease zerks so there should be no reason for this. Maybe I over maintenance things but it's cheap insurance I figure.
Sponsored Links

dawntreader74 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawntreader74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 10:59pm
gets me to' people who's got ground will give fools like that there ground to farm' that don't even own a grease gun' an don't know how to even use one.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 11:07pm
I understand your frustration. You are 100% spot on with maintenance being cheap insurance. (For example, if your Gleaner throws chains, instead of just putting the chains back on year after year instead of replacing the sprockets and chains the first time and doing it right, you run the risk of bending shafts. Then you're out more money.) I'm one of those guys that goes above and beyond on maintenance and preaches proper maintenance extremely heavily. Taking the short way out by neglecting any machine (regardless of color) is like nails on a chalkboard for me. Maintenance makes the difference in a 33 year old Gleaner combine that throws chains left and right, and one that goes trouble-free all season long. (Sadly, the first one is the one I mainly deal with, although I was blessed to run the latter last season for a friend) 
After seeing the Gleaner this past trip to the farm, I decided I was going to say heck with getting nowhere on that machine and make sure MY combines weren't going to be giving trouble like that this harvest. I'm currently servicing my All-Crops; replacing worn shoe hangers, welding up teeth on sprockets, and replacing chains, checking questionable bearings, and going over them with a fine toothed comb. 
Some people wouldn't bother to do this, as it was still running fine before I did anything, but the BIG question is "How long will it run like that?" Sure, you can have worn or under-lubricated parts, and while they may run for the time being, you can't (or shouldn't) count on them lasting like that. Any kind of lack of lubrication (especially when it's lubing chains or zerks) is just downright laziness. No other excuse for it. I always lube the combines at least once a day, and usually hit some of them twice, where the book recommends it, and I always over-grease one machine after the season is over because it has to sit outside, sadly.

One of my grandpas was/is always good about proper maintenance, even if it required a little extra time spent before heading to the field. 
My late grandpa was the opposite. He'd do the bare minimum, and that was it. That's why all his equipment was absolute junk. You couldn't pay me to farm with that stuff, as I'd spend more time off the tractor seat than on it. 
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 6:27am
If I remember right a 2PR IH corn picker had over a 100 grease zerks and a All Crop 66 somewhere around 80. Maybe it just seemed like that many, but we kept them well greased.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 6:47am
And yet, you took it out on the maiden voyage and "noticed" this. You didn't plan to check and maintain before you used it.   
bobkyllo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobkyllo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 6:58am
Yeah I did take it out for its maiden voyage. That trip didn't last but 5 minutes. Because I had trimmed down the wings I had lost the wing wheels and the wing lift. So I had to do some fabricating and before I went any farther on this I wanted to know if my fabrication was going to work or not. Because I found that it worked then I could safely proceed and do the maintenance that it needed.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 12:09pm
I bought a used JD 700 planter last fall. When I finally got around to cleaning things up to get it going, I realized the chains had never been cleaned. It took me a half hour to find the connector links on a couple of them. I should have cut them off and replaced with new for the hours I spent working on it. I guess my time didn't cost me anything and I did learn something from the process.
 Then, some of the bushings on the idlers were wore clear thru and some of the idlers (most of them) were wore more than double the original ID size. 
 Luckily it only needed one finger and one spring to get the seed meter units working, but I spent a couple hours cleaning the soybean meters up.
 I also found a couple grease fittings on the clutch, that must have always been out of view when the guy got out his grease gun.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
45 turboa- View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 45 turboa- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 12:26pm
At our shop I would be working on someone's equipment while they were there the owner would notice some grease zerks and grab our grease gun and start greasing probably the only time the machine saw grease.Or some one would bring in something that was stuck solid and I would tell them it's caused by over lubrication.
turbocharged
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by LeonR2013 LeonR2013 wrote:

If I remember right a 2PR IH corn picker had over a 100 grease zerks and a All Crop 66 somewhere around 80. Maybe it just seemed like that many, but we kept them well greased.

For some reason I thought it might be more than 80, but nevertheless, it is still quite a few. And not all of them are easy to get to, but I still make sure they get grease. If it's hard to get it greased, it will be even harder to replace the bearing if you don't grease it. Again, cheap insurance.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic