This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cast Iron Moldboards

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cast Iron Moldboards
    Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 7:48pm
What are cast iron plow moldboards with Allis-Chalmers cast into to them worth
in good condition?
Sponsored Links

Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 8:03pm
I believe the hardened cast iron moldboards wear the slowest. But don't take impacts like big rocks well.

Gerald J.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 9:58pm
They are worth what ever they are worth to you.    MACK
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 7:14am
Originally posted by MACK MACK wrote:

They are worth what ever they are worth to you.    MACK

They're not worth anything to me personally as I don't use moldboard plows but was wondering if there was a market for them to make it worth my time to save them or just throw them on the next load of scrap. Lots of things have market value that are worthless to me.
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 7:30am

Gary ,years ago Uncle Bill I hauled a few loads of these to Midwest when doing a lot of GOTO shows ,most in Midwest never seen them ,they where bringing good money back then. Now days seems u can't give them away .If u have any left hand ones u might want to keep them ,but if no one wants them ,they are worth more in scrap then just taking up space.
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
45 turboa- View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 45 turboa- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 8:17am
I would like to have one just for display !

turbocharged
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 8:34am
Me too!  I think I'd give it a good paint job and hang it on the outside wall of the new pole barn for display.

What do you want for one of em Gary?
Anybody coming to WI from out east?
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 12:14pm
First thing needed is a part number to identify which bottom they fit.

Gerald J.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 12:33pm
Allis Chalmers only used the cast moldboards on the #124 bottoms. Also they were mainly only used here in the mid Atlantic region for our clay base soils. That is why  John Deere made his steel moldboard from a saw blade for the mid-west type soils. Then everyone else started making steel plows.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 12:44pm
I have some extra cast moldboard's here that are cracked near bottom .sold many to guys that wanted a hanger .When I get them out will post in classified adds .
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 3:37pm
In my print plow bottoms book the only moldboards identified as chilled iron are for the 124 bottom. But there are more than a dozen discontinued moldboards where the material is not identified. All the other identified moldboards are soft center steel.

When plowing most of the pulling friction is against the moldboard. Its important for it to be smooth and with a sand casting that is not easy to achieve compared to rolled steel plate. The inherent great hardness of the chilled iron makes that smoothing a lot harder.

Gerald J.
Dave Richards (WV) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Richards (WV) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 5:57pm
I have a couple of G plows with cast moldboards.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic