This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC On A Wire?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC On A Wire?
    Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 12:48pm
I heard a story this morning from a long time Oliver mechanic that back in the day AC was playing around with a tractor that could follow a wire buried under ground. Any one ever heard of this? 
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
Sponsored Links

farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 1:09pm
I have heard of something like this but I don't remember who it was for
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 1:15pm
I remember in high school ag class (mid 1980's) the teacher was saying that something like that was coming in the sorta distant future. I guess gps wasn't on anyone's mind yet.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 1:38pm
yeah the technology was correct for the time,though burying wire would be a pain, too shallow and oopsy, look what the plow snagged !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 3:48pm

That technology started in the Automotive Assembly Plants in the early 80's.
Bury the wire in the concrete floor.

Vehicle was referred to an 'AGV', short for 'Automatic Guided Vehicle'.

Gary
Ted in NE-OH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted in NE-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 6:26pm
Back in the 50's or 60's Popular Mechanics ran a story that all our roads would have wires in them and the cars would follow them. Guess it did not happen.
CA, WD, C, 3 Bs, 2 Gs, WC, I-400, 914
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 6:42pm
A-C may have had that, but I know for sure Ford had a prototype like that in the 50's called "the sniffer". 
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 8:12pm
Allis tried all kinds of stuff, would've been fun in the HAYDAY of it all, didn't they have a remoute controlled heavy equipment tractor called THE SPOOK?
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 5:00am
I think

Edited by JayIN - 09 Mar 2017 at 5:02am
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 5:01am
I think Cummins uses that technology to deliver parts to the line at their Walesboro plant outside of Columbus.Robotic parts containers.
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
grinder220 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grinder220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 6:43am
Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

Allis tried all kinds of stuff, would've been fun in the HAYDAY of it all, didn't they have a remoute controlled heavy
equipment tractor called THE SPOOK?
not sure what it was called but I do have a picture of it somewhere. I think it was an HD21(cant remember size for sure) with a loader on it,all remote controlled.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 6:57am
Oldsmobile in Lansing, MI had the system in their plant. It would stop if something was parked in front of it, or even if a small board got dropped in it's path.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic