This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

160 ci Spark Plugs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 160 ci Spark Plugs
    Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 4:37pm
Okay, want to run some errands tonight and cannot put my hands on spark plug info for the Series Two. Ended up putting in new Champions last fall and she does not get much work winter time but they are already done.
Anyone have the Autolite and NGK numbers handy?
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links

Tony.Or View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony.Or Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 4:54pm
Tim !  My  old  NAPA  book says  303  Autolite.. Tony
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 5:08pm
Thanks T!
I have no recollection of when (or why!) I bought those champions but it had to be some years ago and I found em' in the parts locker so threw em' in.
Total junk and I know better, the old gal is at approximately 15K hours and I started wondering if she was gonna finally make me park her until at least rebuilding the dist. gov'ner and head job as that is when she will get the crank pulley retrofit for the 415 loader/pump.
Bettin the new 303's bring her back around.
Not that I need another reason to put the re-work off before I lose the dist. weights but then again, that new to me late 185 keeps callin me to stretch her legs.
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 7:26pm
Would be nice to see pics of the plugs. Can you post? What is wrong with them? Motor not running or engine miss?
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 8:06pm
Old stock champs are ok,---BUT the new (mex.) mades are junk right out of the box!---Buddy put 3 sets in his 180 and it still missed, so he took my advice and put ac's in and tractor had front end lift upon fast clutch dump! ----No more miss either!
I use ac or ngk for myself! thanks; ac fleet
Burgie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Burgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 7:08am
I like AC plugs in the Allis, Champion in IH.
"Burgie"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 8:33am
Ed, she developed a miss within 30-45 days and I wrote it off to chasing bad gas again. She sits in the winter other than putting out round bales, a little land clearing pulling cut limbs to the burn piles on the lease pasture and occasional blade work. Never had to choke the old girl over the years as 1/4 throttle and she would pop right off, even at 25-30F in winter.
Autolite 303's brought her back around quick, set at the originally recommended .25. Champs were loaded up with carbon as she was not burning clean (or hot enough during short use or 30 minutes or so) with rearmost cylinder the worst.
Will see how the AL 303's do as she had NGK's in her for ten years prior to the Champions.
Quick fix for 8.00, and 10-15 minutes work.
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 11:04am
Champions *might* work, but you have to go a couple of heat ranges hotter than specified. It's just not worth it. And no, they don't work any better in Farmall tractors. Ask me how I know.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 7:02pm
Champs. don't work in my farmalls either!!! LOL!!!! thanks; ac fleet
cottonpatch View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cottonpatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 10:42pm
My autolite book says 85, which is a projected tip. Specs same plug for the wd45. I have had good luck with 295 and 303 as well, but currently run the 85 plugs and am pleased with how it starts and runs.
'52 CA, '61 D10 II, ‘61 D15, '66 D15II, '63 D17D III, ‘69 170, '73 185 Crop Hustler, '79 185, '79 7000, '77 7040
David Maddux View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Maddux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 2:50am
.25 seems tight to me, might check that spec again. I was thinking more like .30 or .35 maybe the wider for a more wore engine. Maybe my memory has went on me.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 10:02am
Dave, .25 was the original specs so I will run it there a tad and see how the old girl does on the 303's. I had played with the Champs, initially at .30, then opened up to nearer .35 as she went down hill progressively. Also did a fair amount of testing different fuel additives like StarTron, Lucas and Seafoam while running Valvoline oil for years.
She is very high hour (this is the one you and I picked up in 2006 with the tach broke at 4999) and if the AL 303's act up, I will go back to the NGK's that were in it for many years. Found spark plug extenders in the girl when I bought it and left them in for a few years. Cleaned the old NGK's and put them back in without the extenders and she ran a long time. She did plenty of commercial brush hogging, cleared my place and has disc'd/seeded 2X/year the last four years.
Switched her over to Rotella about three years ago and she had been Seafoam'd to clean her up when I first bought it. Still gets a shot of Seafoam about every third oil change and I try to keep her at 150-200 hours max between changes. The air filter found in her when purchased was dated 1973 and she has her NAPA filter cleaned constantly along with the radiator.
She is kind of like us, plenty of hours and still limpin on!
She will get less run time now that the 185 is here and when I get around to it, re-do the head, replace the gasket under the front bolster and make a new pivot pin when she gets torn down for the 415/pump retrofit on the crank pulley.
She owes me absolutely nothing as she has done plenty for a 1700.00 tractor!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic