This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD6 engine rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carterbeauford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD6 engine rebuild
    Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 1:19pm
I have a 1958 HD6, one of the pistons cracked so I bought a rebuild kit with the intention of rebuilding it. I had the head off when I lost my business and consequently my nice heated garage, I had the thing transported to a local construction company so it didn't get sold in the bankruptcy auction. in the mess that followed I forgot all about it and it ended up parked outside with the head off. this was 2 years ago. I have a complete rebuild kit, is the engine still worth rebuilding? I assume the only damage is water in the oil pan, since I'll have to pull the pan anyways, would it be alright with a rebuild and new oil? this would be the first engine I've ever rebuilt and I need all the help I can get, it's a bit intimidating. how do I get everything apart? it is my intention to restore it once I get it running again. 

Sponsored Links

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 3:45pm
If the water jacket got filled up with water from rain it would be cracked six was from Sunday in this part of the world. If the block isn't cracked you could still have significant water in the pan causing rusting of the crankshaft. About the only way to tell is pull it apart. You may find parts to replace what isn't usable.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 7:01pm

You have to pull out the motor from the dozer for a good job and the camshaft should be rust and you could have surprise in the pan.

Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 8:29pm
There are a few surplus 7000 engines around as well. These were used in the HD6 AG tractors-(turbo charged 6000 (344) . The 6000 engine in our HD6E starts and runs  like a watch. If I rebuilt your engine, I would step up to the  6000 or 7000. 
woodbutch View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodbutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 10:41pm
Ages; does the 7000 bolt to same bellhousing?  There are several for sale on govt.surplus.com in colorado right now. I don't know any thing about them but there seems to be a constant supply of them being sold by military.
carterbeauford View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carterbeauford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 9:40am
I inspected the block and no cracks, no antifreeze leaking anywhere. 

give me a quick rundown on how to tear this thing apart. 
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 4:31pm
I have not researched the bell housing issue but suspect that they will bolt up the same. I am looking at a 59 model HD6E with dozer and have plans to put a 7000 in it as it has the origional 344 engine.  I need to review the parts book.  The HD6 is a good tractor. I believe AC sold 25,000+ machines from 1956 to 1974.
BobsAc View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsAc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 6:26pm
Some of those old Gov't surplus engines had some inique features, they are available but don't be too surprised if you have to do some mod's, especially true of the 3500's.....
giz's hd-6ep View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giz's hd-6ep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 7:46pm
looks to me theres still antifreeze in block so you might get lucky, pistons are probably stuck but you most likely going to bore block.she looks in good shape tho. i never took engine out of dozer but i know everything is real heavy. most likely disconnect driveshaft and lift engine and clutch out together im guessing that would be the only way .not too much holding the engine in some wires to disconnect and hoses cant be tooo hard [ famous last words] good luck very heavy stuff be carefull
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 10:28pm
Wet or dry sleeve engine?  can do in frame but like was said cam bearings may also need replacing as well as seals of front and rear of crank.  Did a HD5 in frame but year later ended up taking motor out to replace rear seal and had crank turned at that time also as mains were worn enough that crank end play was excessive.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic