This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some engine machining price INFO

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some engine machining price INFO
    Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 10:57am
After all the talk about costs for machine shop work it looked like it was time to share some costs I have on a WD45 Diesel. Costs for a gas WC/WD/WD45/D17 will be a little less, I posted this not to set prices for all shops just what I see spend around here.
Valve job $130. 6 cly head
Magnuflux head $30.
Resurface head $80.
R&R guides $10. a-piece.
R&R seats $14.00 a-piece.
Grind crank rods and mains $280.
Block work, 6 cyl.
Resurface $90.
Re-cut 6 counter bores $90.
I'm not trying to set prices just so you guys that are thinking about rebuilding your engine have some idea of costs. My machine shop is not cheap but they are as good as they come. You will only get what you pay for. lol 
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Sponsored Links

marion View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 3:30pm
thoes prices look like a bargain,I can't remember exactly what my cost were as was about 15 years ago, but I had the block decked, squared, line bored and rods sized. had the guy in Iowa do block work, had some pitting at bottom of block at oring grooves, had that machined out and some new sleeves pressed in block at bottom. Also remember the old sleeves had wobbled in block and had counter bores welded up and re-cut.
injectors were about 60 or 80 bucks apiece and to have pump gone thru was about 750. there was some part broken in pump and taylor diesel had to find one, but can't remember what was broken. Also seems like somebody was worried about head bolts stretching and had somebody machine new bolts. If I fall over dead tomorrow please run the price up on this one at sale and don't let the scrap people get it.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 3:53pm
Don thanks for posting those it is good for those of us who don't know what this stuff should cost to know what a quality job goes for in your shop.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 4:15pm
That's very good info, thanks Don!
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 4:23pm
I would go back and look at my tickets from having the WD45 done a couple of years ago but I dare not total them all up........it may depress me.   
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 4:25pm
What you think it might cost then times 4.
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 6:14pm
Someone once told me that you can never get back the cost of restoration at sale.... and I believe it!

Great information to have, Don.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 10:46am
those are pretty cheap prices for around here ,  when you add up all the things that have or need to be done to a head to truely be rebiult it adds up , right down to sizing rods there is more time and money int the measuing and machineing than the parts and assembaling  , have a good working relationsship with the machhine shop we use and that makes a big differance
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic