This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

620 snow blower is just weak. Please help.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshuagurley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 620 snow blower is just weak. Please help.
    Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 11:49am
Hello Everyone,
     I could really use some help. I recently acquired a 73 ac620. I thought I loved it. It seemed so capable that i Immediately took my last dime to hunt down a snowblower and have it delivered to Maine at great cost. I spent a couple of weeks troubleshooting small issues, finally got it all installed just in time for a huge storm. I fired it up and it was terrible. very poor power. I got a new belt  with plenty of tension. It only throws 4 inches of snow 5 or 6 feet when it does work. Any water in the snow at all and it plugs the chute almost instantly. Im pretty bummed out about it. I cant believe thats as good as it gets but im too unfamiliar with this system to troubleshoot.
Does the electric pto slip?
Is my pulley ratio off? sure seems stock to me.
my motor seems to run a little lean but its not that bad. Is it just weak at w.o.t.?
The thing is it seems to run fine til i hit the snow.
  Any ideas at all would be greatly appreciated
               thanks

Edited by joshuagurley - 24 Jan 2017 at 11:51am
Sponsored Links

aras View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 12:00pm
Hmmm -- ours works very well.  The motor will almost die before ours will plug and the clutch does not slip
joshuagurley View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshuagurley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 12:42pm
Well, I just went out and tried again. 2 inches of icy snow.
Its not slipping. It throws ok for a moment and then the motor get bogged down.
I guess I'll clean the carb.
  Funny, it sounds like its running well but apparently its not producing power.
Any Idea where to get a carb rebuild kit?
Jim Hancock View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 1:14pm
Hi Joshua. 
First off, welcome to the forum. 
If I may make a suggestion, Get some Chem-tool B12 fuel additive and add some to your gas tank and see if that cleans it up before you get the rebuild kit. 
I'd pour a little more in the tank than normal to get a stronger mix and really clean out any gum if that's what the issue is. 
I run it my WD45 and have had the engine pick up speed when idling, after it set for awhile, just letting it get warmed up a little before I started working it.
I'd also open up the mixture screw a little more to get more fuel to it when it has a working load on it.  HTH. Jim

Edited by Jim Hancock - 24 Jan 2017 at 1:17pm
How blessed we are by HIS GRACE!
talntedmrgreen View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talntedmrgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 1:51pm
I'm not big on fixes in a bottle, but I will have to 2nd the Chem-tool.  It has revived a couple carbs for me, in tractors that were sitting for a season or two.  There's a part of me that still feels like there shouldn't be a shortcut like this, but I try it first now, because it has saved me some time and expense.  Walmart has it cheap...$3?

They have another product I'm looking forward to trying, for those occasions when I actually do rebuild a carb.  Chem-Dip.  Gallon sized paint can, with chem-tool product inside, and a dip tray for immersion of parts needing a good soaking.
Patterson B1*B1/B1Forklift*B10*BigTen/B1Loader*B110*B208*B206*616*Homelite T16H/T8/T7/RM7E*Landlord/Loader/Trencher*Broadmoor717*Serf525*2110*7790*Legacy XL*Twin 20*Squire9*Squire6*JCPenny 494
aras View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 2:14pm
Ours had a pinched fuel line going to the carb under the motor shrouding once.  Ebay has carb rebuild kits...

the governor is very quick on our and snaps the carb wide open instantly under heavy load
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 2:39pm
I also run it in my SA200 welder with the Continental engine that has a MS carb on it and it really keeps it purring along and snaps open the carb when I start the arc without sputtering. 
Of course, last week got some bad gas/water in it and a can of fuel treatment for water etc, straightened it out in no time to smooooth again! Wink
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshuagurley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 3:42pm
I have a sonic cleaner at my disposal that does wonders for dirty carbs. Ill run some chem-tool while im waiting for rebuild kits.

But the governor.... Is that supposed to add throttle under load?
  I was already at wide open throttle so that had not occurred to me
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 3:48pm
Yes. 
If something is keeping it from "engaging under a load", it's like trying to run something with just a wide open throttle and nothing to maintain the rpms..... so to speak. 
So, when a load hits the engine, you lose engine rpms and power to run the blower, in your case. 
ac720nut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac720nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 3:49pm
I guess I'm the only one but check your timing these have a tendency to move and retard timing . Ignition box has two 1/4 phillips screws and real hard to get tight enough to hold and timing will move and retard timing Just my$.02
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 4:52pm
Yeah, Lloyd is right on wit' dat one. If the timing is off on that machine, its not going to produce the power needed with the blower hanging on it. It should toss that snow quite far when running correctly. I would check the timing first, and then do what Jim mentioned to fatten up the fuel ratio. Cold dense air and a lean fuel mix will cause low power issues. A little twist on the enrichment screw will fatten up the mix. Should run better in the cold air. You may have to lean it a tic come the warmer months...
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshuagurley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 6:12pm
Tell you what. timing is a good idea. it backfires and runs on quite a bit on shutdown sometimes.
  I had that in the back of my mind. I'll check it out

macvette View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macvette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 11:28pm
Welcome to the forum.  As you can see already, lots of knowledgeable folks to help out here.

You will probably find that on heavy, wet snow, our single stage blowers do not work as well as the 2 stage.  I have had to go slower in that type of snow to allow the auger to throw the snow out the spout, and not clog.  The inside of my blower chute was rusty when I got it this fall, and I just painted it to make it somewhat smoother, and I also use some spray.  Next spring it will get blasted and painted.

Edited by macvette - 24 Jan 2017 at 11:37pm
ac720nut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac720nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 4:29am
I don't know about the rest of ya but I'ld just like to see some snow so I could actually use mine. I'm about to take it off and get ready for garden work.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 7:42am
Not to pour cold water on your fire Lloyd, but I hope the weather we're getting keeps right on moving into May!  LOL!  The older I git, the more I hate the cold weather and snow. So far, its been a very mild Winter for us here in Joisey... Thumbs Up

Edited by Steve in NJ - 25 Jan 2017 at 7:43am
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 1:48pm
I am with you Steve, only this real warm weather is worrying me, afraid the fruit trees might start to soon. My weeping pussy willow has some white blooms on it.
ac720nut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac720nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 6:49pm
Maple in yard about to burst. I don't need the snow but grass ain't growin either
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 8:03pm
Go to You Tube and watch video "Allis Chalmers 620 snowblowing".
Compare your machine to that one. Opinion from the guys here, is the 620
in that video operating OK?

While on you tube, why not watch all the other 616/620/720/powermax/4040/4041 videos.

ac720nut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac720nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 6:09am
Have you checked you timing? also if you not turning 3600 RPM your not going to get it to work right. Mine would not get full throttle and would plug real easy, till I readjusted the linkage now it will blow like a champ . Don't get discouraged these are great machines and with a little love for say they'll out last anything out there .
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 12:26pm
They are great machines. My 720/snowthrower work great. I was really impressed when I first used it in a big snow. good dry snow and it blew the snow 35 ft. Another snow was wetter, probably only 20ft but it never plugged. Sure beats shoveling! My dad has over a 1/4 mile drive way and in 2 passes it was done. It was worth the $800 I paid for the snow thrower. Another great implement for my collection. Hard to choose my favorite, rear tine tiller, snowthrower, or my Danco brush mower(bush hog)? They are all great pieces.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 12:40pm
And yes, timing and fuel mixture are both keys to a smooth running Onan. They run great but require some attention to keep them that way. I wish there was a way too get rid of the points, the box does move at times. Sure wish there was an electronic ignition to replace them. One of the down falls of the Onan. I have 2 720`s, but one runs better and is more reliable than the other. Of course one has 640 hrs vs 1014 hrs. So a fresh rebuild would be helpful. Reguardless, they do so much work and are some much fun to run. Amazing power out of such a small package. My grand children will enjoy mine after I'm gone, a little brother to my 190XT.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 1:45am
also spray "PAM" or any cooking spray inside the chute before using.
macvette View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macvette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 8:11pm
Mine has 1550+ hours on it.  Bought it approximately 6 years ago at about 1440 hrs, and previous owner said he thought engine had been worked on in 1998.  He didn't know how many hours it had on at that time.  Still runs pretty good, not perfect, but good enough for me.
ac720nut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac720nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 7:21am
AC720man, there is a electronic ignition availaable for the Onan engines . Usually all is available on E-bay. you need different timing cover. It's all explained on Micheals Tractor and Simple Tractors Or if you want PM and I'll put you in contact with a couple who have done the converstion . I have all the pieces to do but as long as mine run good stock I'll keep them that way, don't want to sell. I too hope my grandchildren have the sense to keep mine once I'm gone to.
TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 12:09pm
Your blower will not move really wet snow very well. Below freezing, it should move it like crazy. Ive loaded dump trucks from behind with mine. Ive never run it at wot for blowing. I can tell you the belt needs to be fiddle string tight. And, they dont last real long. I keep a belt in stock. There should be no reason you are disappointed, when everything is working decent, they really move snow. Something is not right for you. Hope you figure it out, Trev.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 8:39pm
Thanks AC720 nut, I will look into that. Agrevating to adjust the points since you have to take the heat shield off.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic